Internal injury or cocci

Blueroanpainted

Songster
Dec 2, 2019
Warrensburg, mo
I bought guniea and within a night of putting them with some of my older chicks (the guniea are same size as the chicks but they're only a month MAYBE 2 old, the chicks where a week old on mothers day....)
There are 5 bantam showgirls and 7 guniea keets)
I lost one of the bantams. I figured it rained the night before and she got caught in it. We have been having a LOT of rain lately. A day later there's another one dead in the corner of the pen, and a third is pooping damn near straight blood. Neither of the Pens beside them have any signs of cocci, and I did notice the keets running together in a group and just running right over one of the bantams. Should I go ahead an treat like it's cocci or move the bantams entirely and keep the keets by themselves and see what happens from there.
If it's cocci it had to have hit HARD and FAST.

, and a third is pooping damn near straight blood.
Sorry for your losses! :(

That's a perfect description of coccidiosis.. which only one of the 9-11 known strains which effect chickens will present as blood in droppings. It isn't an internal injury.

The coccidiosis is at your place not coming from the keets as it takes 6 days after exposure before symptoms present.. and yes it can hit hard and fast, that's why it's one of the top causes of loss in the industry. Or for a larger reality.. coccidia protozoa are in every chicken poo and only become an issue after too many sporulated oocysts (eggs exposed to air) have been ingested.. often through drinking water. The keets might be carrying another strain your birds don't already have and vice versa.

Treat with the severe outbreak dose if using Corid AND if your blood passing chick isn't drinking you may need to direct dose some to it's beak.

Mothers' day was a long time ago.. how old now? How does a Showgirl get caught in the rain at night? Do you not have them locked inside a weather resistant coop in the evening?

Also, any reduction in crowding is beneficial in my experience.

Hope you get this handled quickly! :fl

I bought guniea and within a night of putting them with some of my older chicks
I lost one of the bantams
. I figured it rained the night before and she got caught in it. We have been having a LOT of rain lately. A day later there's another one dead in the corner of the pen, and a third is pooping damn near straight blood. Neither of the Pens beside them have any signs of cocci, and I did notice the keets running together in a group and just running right over one of the bantams. Should I go ahead an treat like it's cocci or move the bantams entirely and keep the keets by themselves and see what happens from there.
If it's cocci it had to have hit HARD and FAST.
Can you post some photos - poop, chicks, vents?

It won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis, but I would take the Keets out of there/move the bantams - getting run over is not helping.

Hard to know if it's Coccidiosis or injury from the Keets running over the bantam chicks. I would treat with Corid to err on the side of caution. You mention they started pooping blood the next day, so if the blood is caused by Coccidia, adding the Keets would be coincidental since it does take a little bit of time for symptoms to show up ( prepatent period for Coccidia is 4–7 days depending on strain) so your chicks were already on their way to showing signs of infection.

Have you looked at the chick's vents to see if they have been picked?

Here's Corid dosing information.

1596038577764.png

Sorry for your losses! :(

That's a perfect description of coccidiosis.. which only one of the 9-11 known strains which effect chickens will present as blood in droppings. It isn't an internal injury.

The coccidiosis is at your place not coming from the keets as it takes 6 days after exposure before symptoms present.. and yes it can hit hard and fast, that's why it's one of the top causes of loss in the industry. Or for a larger reality.. coccidia protozoa are in every chicken poo and only become an issue after too many sporulated oocysts (eggs exposed to air) have been ingested.. often through drinking water. The keets might be carrying another strain your birds don't already have and vice versa.

Treat with the severe outbreak dose if using Corid AND if your blood passing chick isn't drinking you may need to direct dose some to it's beak.

Mothers' day was a long time ago.. how old now? How does a Showgirl get caught in the rain at night? Do you not have them locked inside a weather resistant coop in the evening?

Also, any reduction in crowding is beneficial in my experience.

Hope you get this handled quickly! :fl
I've gone ahead and treated with a heavy dose in all pens, it's a very large pen but they like to flock together. They have a weather resistant coop, but we only lock them inside when we know it's going to rain, otherwise they go in and stay in themselves. The pen is closed and locked at night It wasn't supposed to rain the other morning but have had a lot of pop up storms. My guess is that the keets ran them out as I've noticed it's been a problem, I the surviving two will probably be moved until I can figure something out. We haven't had a problem with cocci is a very long time and treat to prevent, clean pens regularly. The showgirls are a few months now and where getting ready to transition in with my older hens.

It won't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis, but I would take the Keets out of there/move the bantams - getting run over is not helping.

Hard to know if it's Coccidiosis or injury from the Keets running over the bantam chicks. I would treat with Corid to err on the side of caution. You mention they started pooping blood the next day, so if the blood is caused by Coccidia, adding the Keets would be coincidental since it does take a little bit of time for symptoms to show up ( prepatent period for Coccidia is 4–7 days depending on strain) so your chicks were already on their way to showing signs of infection.

View attachment 2267139
The poop has been cleaned up as I am in the process of cleaning the pen out. The one who had bloody stool died and has been moved out but it didn't appear to have been picked. The other two don't have bloody stool. From what I can see, but do plan on watching, the young roo if anything has white, and the "nursery" they where moved from also has no signs of cocci in it which is why I'm confused. Any of the other chicks in there are healthy as can be. They haven't been in this pen for more than MAYBE 6 days but we check their poop pretty regularly to make sure we don't see anything bloody. Likewise, no one in the pens connected, or in the pen with the now dead ones are presenting bloody stool

View attachment 2267139
The poop has been cleaned up as I am in the process of cleaning the pen out. The one who had bloody stool died and has been moved out but it didn't appear to have been picked. The other two don't have bloody stool. From what I can see, but do plan on watching, the young roo if anything has white, and the "nursery" they where moved from also has no signs of cocci in it which is why I'm confused. Any of the other chicks in there are healthy as can be. They haven't been in this pen for more than MAYBE 6 days but we check their poop pretty regularly to make sure we don't see anything bloody. Likewise, no one in the pens connected, or in the pen with the now dead ones are presenting bloody stool

Back
Top Bottom