Internal lay? Please help me figure out what's wrong with my RIR.

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
This morning when I let the hens out of the coop, my RIR stayed in the coop. I went in to look for her and she was standing there with something hanging out of her vent. As I looked closer, it was about a half of an egg shell with a long strand of egg (felt like when you cook eggs soft) leading from the shell to the vent.
signal-2023-03-02-07-29-00-567.jpg
signal-2023-03-02-07-29-20-321.jpg
signal-2023-03-02-07-29-32-101.jpg

I used a glove to carefully remove the hanging egg, and it seemed to have a very soft shell. That's odd because I often see her eating her oyster shells and crushed egg shells. Even yesterday I saw her eat them.
signal-2023-03-02-07-29-51-261.jpg

Then after I did that, she walked away, past the feed and water without touching them, and is standing under the trees. She's kind of closing her eyes a little like she is in pain or something.
signal-2023-03-02-07-30-22-787.jpg

You know how when a chicken is about to poop, the feathers near the vent part downward? She has had hers parted like that since I've seen her this morning. You can kind of tell in the above photo.

Other things of note: I haven't seen an egg from her in about 2 weeks, but she did lose feathers on her head so I assumed she was molting. I thought I even saw some new feather growth coming in, but maybe the feather loss is due to something else? Also, idk if this is relevant but when eating her eggs (when we did have them), the whites lately have been really thin and would spread out really far when you cracked them in the pan. I thought that was unusual, but she is an older hen so I brushed it off.

So with all that said, what do you think is the problem and what should I do? We do not have a chicken vet here so we treat entirely at home. Please help me help our beloved Reba!!! Thank you.

signal-2023-03-02-09-06-14-081.jpg

Now she is in the nest trying to lay. She seems to be moving around a little better, but is still acting "off".

Just bumping this thread so it doesn't get buried. Anyone have any suggestions? I gave her a little Nutri Drench and B12 supplement, but not much because she wouldn't let me. I'll try again later.

Should I soak her in water? Start her on antibiotics? I have no clue what the problem is so I have no clue what to do. This is a new one for me.

It looks like a soft shelled egg.
Give her extra calcium for a week. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.
Pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
Oh okay, thanks! I actually do have those tablets so I will do that.

It just seems like something more to me since she seems to have had this egg come out of her while she was on the roost at some point (since it was there at dawn), and she's acting lethargic. She's also been in the "penguin" stance most of the day.

Oh okay, thanks! I actually do have those tablets so I will do that.

It just seems like something more to me since she seems to have had this egg come out of her while she was on the roost at some point (since it was there at dawn), and she's acting lethargic. She's also been in the "penguin" stance most of the day.
She's needs calcium to help her expel the material and possibly another that is on the way.

Back
Top Bottom