Internal layer?Look at this stuff I found...should I cull her? (yucky

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terri O, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a hen inside from a flock I purchased about 2 weeks ago. (hen is about 1 year old) She was listless and on the ground in the coop so I brought her in. She could walk at that time. I thought she might be egg bound.
    Now it is two days later. Her legs are totally limp. She had a mass in the back, didnt feel like an egg, thought that it might be a tumor and interfering with her leg movement; so I sat her in a bath and manipulated a bunch of poo and this stuff out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am afraid that I was not gentle enough while doing thes...should I cull her? or can she recover after all this? Thanks for the help! Terri O in WI

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Definitely having laying problems. She might recover if you got it all out. Check her gently again tomorrow. In the mean time, I would just leave her alone and see how she does. I personally would not start antibiotics or anything yet.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Egg impactation for sure or internal layer. Keep her quiet and dark in a dog crate. Would this happen again? Highly likely.

Hope for the best in her recovery. If her comb turns blue, the poison has set in and you will have a battle on your hands. Much kinder to let her go.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Keeping her comfortable on a heating pad for now. She is sleeping. I guess time will tell. Thanks! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by