Internal Laying, Peritonitis, & Ascites

Kellimax02

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2017
I wanted to post on here to see if anyone has any suggestions, sees something I don't, and to just make sure I'm doing what I can. That said let me follow the guidelines for posting in this forum:

1. Parmigiana is my RIR, 1.5 yrs old, 5.1lbs, current feel: thin in the keel

2. Current: hanging out on the back of my chair, looking around at her
surroundings, grooming every now & again

3. Current symptoms started Tuesday 8/29/17, but in hindsight could have been going on since around 7/14/17

4. None of my other 2 (EE's) are exhibiting symptoms of any kind.

5. NO: bleeding, injury, broken bones, signs of trauma

6. Back in July, she started to be picked on by the others. I carefully observed their behavior and determined it to just be a pecking order change. However on 7/14 I took her to the vet because the bullying had become aggressive and her behavior had changed to "something is off". The vet gave her an exam, tested blood & fecal (came back perfectly normal), and a .1mL Ivermectin injection for what he suspected (but not 100%) was mites. She was quarantined for 7 days and everything was normal while in quarantine (behavior, poop, eating/drinking, even laying) as well as when I put her back in the coop with the others after treating them & the coop/run with elector PSP. Going back to June her lay schedule: 6/2,5,6,7,10,11,13,15,16,17,20,23,24,25,26,28,29,30
7/4,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,15X,17X,18X,19X,21X,22,27,30 (x days bc of Iver)
8/1,2,3,6,7,9,11,12,14,15,16 and none since although she started to molt around the 15th, but would go to nest with no eggs
Fast forward to Tuesday 8/29: she was sitting in nesting box in the am, but didn't yell at me like she does when she's laying (or trying to). I shooed her to out but she laid on the poop tray (where there was watery yellow/white poop). I took her out & offered her raisins which she refused so I KNEW something was wrong.

7. Tuesday: no eating or drinking in am, ate few mealworms and scrambled eggs in evening after treatment (see below). Wednesday: no drinking, would only eat meal worms & scrambled egg, devoured rare tuna steak in the evening. Today: drank on own a little and so far only once, still only eating tuna, meal worms, eggs. *The entire time she has had grit available, and has been offered sprouts, mash (regular feed w/kelp & bone broth), oatmeal w/kelp & kefir*

8. Poop still looks the same: watery white with brown mixed in. Is pooping about every 2-3 hours

9. Treatment so far: Tuesday-.5mL NutriDrench, 3mL garlic water (given every day since chick) via syringe every 15min. Internal exam to check for egg binding, 1 Tums crushed & mixed w/water administered via syringe, Epsom salt bath (repeated exam & bath after 1 hour). It became apparent to me after researching that she had Ascites (presented with every symptom), I used a 3mL syringe (had on hand) and a 18 gauge 1" needle to drain fluid from her abdomen in the evening. I decided on this method because she was fading fast: eyes closed, sitting all day, labored mouth breathing, discoloration of comb. IMMEDIATELY after draining 3mL fluid she became alert. Put her back in cage, she began to eat and was standing. She was draining fluid all night, but no longer mouth breathing and comb went back to normal. She even roosted on a rolling pin I put in the cage for her.
Wednesday: in the am she didn't look good again so I decided to drain her again, but this time I removed the syringe plunger & let her drain through it into a measuring cup. Just over 3/4 c came out. Put her back in the crate, .5mL NutriDrench again her recovery was immediate. Throughout the day I gave her .25mL 50ppm colloidal silver (antibiotic/antibacterial/antiviral/anti-inflammatory) on an alternating half hour rotation of .5mL acidophilus/bifido (1 capsule mixed w/enough water to make suspension).She was still draining ALOT throughout the day, but seemingly gaining strength & vigor every hour. Gave her another Epsom salt bath, crated, & watched.
Today: Started antibiotic (CS)/probiotic rotation (same dose) hourly. Going to bathe her again as she's stopped draining so her butt fluff is all matted. Started Kali Phos treatment for IL/EYP (4mL dose of 1 6c tablet to 4tsp water).
**Notes: fluid drained was cloudy yellow indicating internal laying/EYP

10. Treatment Intention: I would prefer to treat her myself as our vet is 45min away and a same day appointment is $200 let alone what they actually do. I spent around $400 at last visit and my husband has a $500/per animal cap on medical costs. However, I am NOT opposed to putting her down if her symptoms do not improve. I would rather try what I can first and if it doesn't work I would never sacrifice her quality of life for my emotional attachment.

11. Pics: will attempt to post

12. Current housing: dog crate w/training pad (changed whenever soiled), available water/grit/food. Although, I have had her out of crate for the last few hours because shes doing well but not well enough for me to put her back.

I am aware the Ascites is a symptom of EYP and that's a symptom of IL. I treated the symptoms and they provided immediate relief. I am continuing to treat the EYP w/antibiotic & probiotic rotation, and the only course of action I have for IL is the Kali. I know that generally the prognoses of all 3 of these issues isn't a good one, but I have to try and am hopeful. Any comments/suggestions/advice would be helpful.

And from the bottom of my heart, may God bless each of you on this site as it has been an invaluable resource to me throughout being a chicken mama <3

82517 normal parm.JPG 82917 first drain.JPG 83017 pm eating tuna.JPG 83017 perching pm.JPG

Attachments

• poops.JPG
    poops.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 26
  • poops 2.JPG
    poops 2.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 24
  • much better today.JPG
    much better today.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Wow...I commend you for all the treatment care. Your birds definitely get top priority!

I can only add that Ascites is often a symptom of other things such as cardiac, respiratory failure often due to liver failure. Egg Peritonitis is only one cause of abdominal fluid. I suspicion something other than EYP because you are only finding fluids rather than any masses ("lash eggs") or noted a penguin stance (egg binding). She was laying fine with no sign of illness or odd eggs. (Infectious Bronchitis can hit the egg tract, but you would have noted soft shelled eggs, warped eggs, sand paper eggs first).

You don't mention where you got your RIR, but most of us get them from the feed stores who get them from the hatcheries, which mean she is actually a Production Red.

Being genetically selected as a high production layer often comes with genetic costs. One of them is weaker hearts. The industry simply culls and rotates out any birds after the first molt.

Not suggesting you should do so, but it does indicate that you may have gotten one of the genetically weaker birds who after high production develops heart disease, or liver cancer (possibly after ovarian cancer).

I can't imagine anyone having performed better care on her. If any bird should rally, she should. If she doesn't, then it is beyond ability for care.

The only further thing that can be done is to have a vet specifically diagnose egg duct peritonitis and have them perform a hysterectomy. Hens have been saved after that, but of course, that is not cheap or for every bird owner.

But that wouldn't cure the heart/liver condition if indeed that is what it frequently is.

I'll link some informative articles below to help you further assess your birds symptoms and possible treatments.

Good luck with her. Again, if any bird could survive with care, she should be the one.

My thoughts.

LofMc

Salpingitis
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/03/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by.html

Egg Binding
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Ascetis
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...itions-of-poultry/ascites-syndrome-in-poultry

@Lady of McCamley Thank you for your response & very kind words, it is MUCH appreciated! I did read that ascites is often a symptom of organ failure (usually liver). However, in my research I found that's usually the case when the drained fluid is urine like...clear tinged, which was not the case with my girl. But, I have Milk Thistle to give her if I need to (which is beneficial for the lungs of all living creatures).

She's never laid lash eggs and her stance seems normal. My initial thought was egg bound, but that was not the case. Her eggs did become "warbly" (like they had raised lines), but strong.

Indeed, I did get my babies from "A" feed store ;) and I've come to find through reading so many of these BYC posts, others poor experiences with the same. As a matter of fact, I've already lost 2 other "RIR's" (one at 5 days old...diagnosed as failure to thrive and the other at 8 months...diagnosed as sudden chicken death syndrome). Its unfortunate to say the least.

As far as the hysterectomy or even the suprelorin (sp?) implant, that's not for me. I'm willing to do what I can naturally/holistically/responsibly/ethically, but I'm of the mindset that if I've done all that I can in those respects to no avail, then it's time to let her go and appreciate the life she had and the joy she brought me...no matter how long that may be.

On a positive, this pic is after her last bath. She's fast asleep & cooing!

Attachments

• Parm.JPG
    Parm.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
The Merck's manual suggests liver failure ascites fluid may contain "yellow protein clots" which could give it a cloudy appearance rather than clear urine appearance.

At any rate, I'm glad she is resting. I think you've pretty much done all you can. Time is the only factor left.

LofMc

The Merck's manual suggests liver failure ascites fluid may contain "yellow protein clots" which could give it a cloudy appearance rather than clear urine appearance.

At any rate, I'm glad she is resting. I think you've pretty much done all you can. Time is the only factor left.

LofMc
Thanks for the info! The more I know the better I can help her and that is exactly why I posted. I really appreciate the input!

Just wanted to say that you have done a wonderful job! I have been down this road before and have one right now (she looks just like yours) that is going through this. I've done many of the same things you have and have used antibiotics a couple of times for EYP. I have never had the implant done as I don't have a vet that is anywhere near to even be able to consider it. I've never had one recover completely, but I have been able to keep them comfortable for a fair amount of time. How much time and effort a person wants to put into it is a personal decision. I had one bird (she had salpingitis) last for 18 really good months before I ultimately lost her. She had repeated fluid build up that I was able to treat and it would stay gone for a period of time, and then recur. I did use this: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Lily-of-the-Desert-Aloe-Herbal-Detox-Formula-32-fl-oz-960-ml/6558 at times and it seemed to help the fluid retention without having to drain. I gave 4ml a day for 7 days when needed. Same thing is going on with my bird now, she's been having issues since May of this year, so am doing all the same things and we will see. Right now she's happy and with the flock and I'm hoping winter will give her a little more time. If your bird is internally laying then once she goes into winter mode it may get better until spring when the laying picks up again. For me, I do what I can as long as I think their quality of life is decent and they are not suffering. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom