Internal pip 26 hours ago no external pip & a big OOPS :o(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylvangirl, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Sylvangirl

Sylvangirl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Snowflake, AZ
    Yesterday I noticed 1 egg was internally pipped & tapping like crazy all day. Last night 2 more were internally pipped but no tapping yet. I increased humidity and tried to dial down about a degree and a half but this morning went in and temp was at 106! I dont know why it got hotter, maybe I turned the wrong way. This is so frustrating. Out of the 3 that had started to pip, one has a little movement but the one that was tapping is no longer making noise or moving. I put them back and have the temp stabilized at 101. Could the temp spike harmed them and their progress? This is my first time and really have no idea. These eggs belonged to our goose who was killed by a coyote after she had laid her 13th egg so these are special eggs. Also, how long between internal pipping and when I should see an actual pip? Right now we are at 24-26 hours but just silence now. :eek:(

2. Sylvangirl

Sylvangirl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Snowflake, AZ
    OK update, I have one egg that the baby has started to scratch at the egg. It is also peeping at me. It has been doing this now for 7 hours. When I candled them last night, this one had come into the air cell. I am worried that my poor incubation skills have compromised the babies :eek:( On the first egg that was pipping yesterday and is now silent, I hand drilled a 2mm hole using a sterilized drill after candeling it to find a good spot. I set it back into the incubator. I am so nervous for the one that is peeping- should I give it an air hole too or let it continue doing it's thing? Help please!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
  4. Sylvangirl

Sylvangirl New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Snowflake, AZ
    Hi yes, actually it is quickly becoming my bible! :eek:) Aside from one, I don't believe any of the eggs survived my mistake though. This is day 28 and although I do still see veins and an uneven air cell, there is no movement in any of them. I went ahead and gave the one one that had been tapping a pip hole and later yesterday we noticed that the little guy moved to the hole and is tapping near it. I made the hole about a width of a nickle around 4pm yesterday. It has now been 14 hours and it still has not made the hole bigger. When I talk to it, it peeps loudly at me. I don't know if I should let it be or start assisting it's hatch. I only have one out of 13 that appears alive and these are very special to me, they belonged to our goose who was killed by a coyote. I really really do not want to lose this baby if I can help it.

5. hihk

hihk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    It happened to me on day 7, the thermometer showed 107 °F in the morning!!! B4 I went to bed it was 99.5 °F. I thought I killed them all... That night I set the temp a bit lower, guess what? It showed 90 °F the next morning!!! But then I got 100% hatch a couple of days ago :) So don't worry, whatever happened has happened, now you can relax and pray for the best :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by