Internal Pip, how long until external pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crayonsmom, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Well, I think I lost two of my eggs but still have one. the duckling started peeping last night between 7 and 9pm. It's now almost 6pm the next day here. The duckling is still peeping every so often, although not as much as s/he was last night and this morning. I'm not a fan of helping, but I raelly want to try to get one duck out of my first hatch attempt. Although I don't really want to get myself in over my head by trying to help. How long does it usually take for the external pip?

EDIT: Actually, now that I shine some light in there, I think I see a little piece of egg shell that fell through the grate in the humidity ring! I can't actually see a pip though, but it could be towards the underside.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. calico041

calico041 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Same problem. My egg just isnt pipping . what does an internal pip look like? PICS pleez [​IMG]

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Well, you can't see it just by looking in the incubator. you could see it if you candled, but you don't want to candle during lockdown. Internally pipping is when they break through to the air sac. This is when you'll start hearing them peeping/cheeping (whatever nose you think they make. lol) too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by