Internal pip then nothing now dark area on egg HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckydoduckydee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. duckydoduckydee

duckydoduckydee New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Saugerties NY
    To get some background, when I got the eggs with a friend we were confused on what it said on the website it was along the lines of "what desired is your desired hatch date" or something and we thought that the eggs would hatch this weekend; but as we candled them they seemed much bigger and more developed than they should be. And today I heard at least one of my eggs pip and it literally woke me up from a nap[​IMG]. And it was going strong it even pipped when I said hello. I left my house for about a half an hour to get the rest of my brooding supplies and when I got back it didn't pip as much and wouldnt respond to me and the one has a slight dark area around it and its worrying me a bit but as I'm wrighting this im hearing it peck at the egg and pip again a little but the black spot is still worrying me a bit. Sorry if this is long btw I'm just so anxious right now

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Welcome.

You are leaving a lot out----keep in mind we are just meeting you and have no idea about the back ground of these eggs---Most important is Are they in a Incubator? How long have they been in the incubator---if they are? Are you saying you ordered eggs that were already being incubated?? I am lost.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. duckydoduckydee

duckydoduckydee New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Saugerties NY
    @PD-RivermanI'm so sorry yes they are in an incubetor and no I didnt order them incubated at least I dont believe so the website was a bit confusing. There are 6 eggs in total and have been in the incubator since February 25th. Again so sorry

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If they have been in there since 2-25 you got problems---If they are chicken eggs---are they chicken eggs??

5. duckydoduckydee

duckydoduckydee New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Saugerties NY
    @PD-Riverman they are welsh harlequin duck eggs

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK. that helps a lot more. I presume they have a incubation period of 27 to 29 days so you should be going into lock down now because you are on day 24. Do all of them look the same inside when you candle them? Have you looked at a chart to see what they should look like---on day 24? http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

If you are on day 24 and are hearing chirping sounds coming from the eggs----your incubator might be to hot??

7. duckydoduckydee

duckydoduckydee New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Saugerties NY
    @PD-Riverman they've all seemed the same when I candled them, but they seem to be a bit older then we suspected because when we compared them to charts and they looked to be about day 25 or 26 and that was Sunday and both Sunday and Saturday the eggs started to move a bit one rolled across the incubator on its own!

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, so you looked at a chart link I linked you?

What kind of incubator are you using? What kind of thermometer are you using? What temp is it running at?

9. duckydoduckydee

duckydoduckydee New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Saugerties NY
    @PD-Riverman yes I looked at the chart funnily enough I used that same chart for when I candled my eggs. And the temp has been stable at 99, Im using a house thermometer I found at home I tested its accuracy before my eggs arrived and I'm using a little giant still air incubator.

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, then put them in lock-down, increase the moisture and let them hatch!! Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by