internal pip

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaydehill, Mar 31, 2012.

1. kaydehill

kaydehill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    i bought three cayuga eggs a week ago that were already in incubation as the guy was 20 mins away. they are set to hatch this sunday or monday. its now friday and i can see the air sac however no internal pip does this mean there not going to hatch or could they just be late. also one of the eggs the air sack is massive and is going up one side of the egg could this be a bad one? its also a bit lighter then the others cheers.

2. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I had a call egg that had an air sack go down the side a little bit and he hatched, so i don't think it means that. Anything is possible. I wouldn't worry just yet, they may be quick to pip and hatch? You just never know. Just when you think you know everything about hatches, something comes along to throw a wrench in it. I am by far not an expert but there are a lot of experts here. I just wanted to reply and bump you up alittle bit so that maybe someone would reply with more experience. Hope everything goes well:)

1 person likes this.
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Air cell should be around 1/3 the size of the egg at hatch- any bigger and it can be a sign that the ducklings inside have gotten shrink wrapped by the membrane. What is the current humidity in the incubator?

4. kaydehill

Mar 31, 2012
    im unsure the exact level i bought incubator of ebay there polystirine ones the ratings were 100 percent positive and they said stick a damp sponge last few days. The thomometer also mesures humidity and its in the green zone which on instructions meant perfect.thnx for coments also what does shrink wrapped mean? is this bad.

5. kaydehill

Mar 31, 2012
    ive relised altho in green zone it was only at 50% so ive put another damp sponge in to boost it up

6. kaydehill

Mar 31, 2012
    just now the one with the air cell up side started to wobble!!

7. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    OOOh, how exciting!!! Looking good - fingers x'd for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by