internal piping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HarrietB, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HarrietB

HarrietB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    my last egg has pipped in the airsack for over 24 hours now, lots of tapping and little cheeps, over the past few hours is has become very very loud and long cheeps but now cracks in the shell. i dont know if this is an enthusiastic sound or if its stuck! as i said well over 24 hours since it started pipping inside

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chicks can take quite awhile to pip through the shell, though sometimes, just sometimes they lose their egg tooth and can't break through the shell. But don't rush to assist just yet. Candle the egg and mark the line where the air sack is. If the chick runs out of steam over the next few hours you can help it pip by making a small hole in the air sack area, as close as possible to where the beak is. Sally Sunshine put together a great article explaining assisted hatches and when and how to:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Have a look at that. She put on some pics and video's as well. Good luck and hope the hatch goes well!

3. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    Brilliant article, i had to help my last chick out because big bum got stuck! took me 11 hours because i wanted to make sure all the blood and yolk had been absorbed and he came out perfectlly in the end and is now a very active and greedy little chick. the one in the egg is very vocal so im hoping for a pip soon!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I hope so too. [​IMG] I learned about assisted hatches through trial and error. SS's article is fantastic! It even taught me new things and I've done this quite a few times!

5. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    unfortunatly this little chick never made it, the pipping stopped and he passed away so just got the one chick. he will be spoilt rotten though, already enjoys sitting on my tummy watching tv. chasing the dog ( who is scared of it)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by