INTERNAL PIPPING CHECK MADE EASY.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeneralee, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jeneralee

jeneralee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    I jus discovered today, that instead of candling the whole egg..I can use a cheapy book light. if you hold it directly up to the air cell it works great..even in a light room. no heat concerns and I believe less stress all around cuz its so quick. Anyway, jus thought I'd share. Try it! I can't stand this waiting much longer...

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks,for the tip!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I use a single super bright LED penlight, by streamlight, same kind of thing, no heat.

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm confused. Wouldn't you have to open the incubator during the last 3 days to candle the eggs for the beak sticking into the air cell? I thought we were not ever ever supposed to open the incubator til the hatch was done.

Does this mean I can check fast when making sure on humidity (adding sponge, etc)
    Or should I just wait to hear chirping and see eggs rocking?

thanks

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Generally you should wait. I only mess with them when they're days late and I need to know whether to give them another day or they're gone.

Opening the bator during the normal hatching period can and usually will mess things up.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thats cool when you candle and you see the choick hammering away on the inside of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by