1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Internal pipping question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheDuckCrew, May 2, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So i'm incubating 14 pekin eggs and i only have about a week left. i heard you are suppossed to stop turning and raise the humidity 3 days before hatch day, but i hear people saying that they could see their chick/duckling internally pip, which means they candled right? which means they opened the bator. so when does the internal pip occur? should i stop turning once i see an egg that has internally pipped? sorry for all the questions, but i thought i had this down, but now i'm confused. thanks in advance for any help!

2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    anyone??

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  3. eminator

eminator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Pomona, CA
    I have 2 duck eggs, and I have seen a lot of action in one (so yes, I candled), and I am interested in seeing a response to this. I quit turning, because they are supposed to hatch tomorrow.

4. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I candle the last day when i stop turning, then I don't open the incubator until they hatch [​IMG]

5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    I wouldn't worry about the internal pip. It takes more experience than most have to see (and understand) what is going on in anything other than a white and relatively thin shelled egg. Just go with your original plan and you should be fine.

Jim

6. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Oops! forgot to answer your question. The internal pip is when the chick pierces the membrane into the air cell. It then begins to breath air.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by