1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

internally piped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gemma24, Feb 7, 2017.

1. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    my egg has been internally piped since this morning. but it hasn't externally piped yet... how long does it usually take? and how long can they last in there?

2. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    any one?

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I will reply. I will say this---where I live if I was to open the incubator during the hatch, pull eggs out to candle them---I would probably loose most all of them. I can not open my incubator here the last 3 days. Your area might be different and might not effect your eggs????? I can not answer your question because I have never opened the incubator and candled to see a internal pip. I always leave mine closed during the hatch(day 19, 20, 21) and most all the eggs hatch. Good Luck

4. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    the egg has been under a broody hen and when she got up I could see that it was not externally piped...thanks for the help!

5. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    oh, and the egg was peeping.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OH OK a broody instead of the incubator----some times it can take 24 hours or so before it external pips. I set 72 broody hens last year and not one of them got off the eggs while the chicks were hatching. How many eggs is she setting on?

1 person likes this.
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Try not to worry and let nature takes its course. If you hear peeping the chick is fine. When they internally pip they learn to breathe oxygen for the first time. When that oxygen becomes low and the co2 high this kick starts the chick into making an external pip to allow more oxygen in to the egg.
    Internal pip to external pip can take 24 hours but it really does depend on the individual chick and how quickly the co2 rises. I'm afraid there is no definitive answer on timing and how long hatch will take.

Good luck :fl

8. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    I went out to the coop, and the egg was not peeping or tapping...do you think its dead?[​IMG]

9. gemma24

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    only 3.....but she is very set on hatching them...

10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Not necessarily no as you can't be totally sure when it internally pipped. They do often rest and have periods of quiet time whilst absorbing the yolk and blood vessels. Hatching is very difficult for them and they need the rest to have enough energy to finish the hatching process.

I really do know hard it is but leaving the hen alone to get on with it is the best option right now. I'm probably biast though as I'm a hands off hatcher and just let nature it course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by