1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Internally pipped for 13+ hours, no external pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ledbythelamb, May 26, 2016.

1. ledbythelamb

ledbythelamb Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    I had 6 shipped Welsummer eggs under a broody hen. Today is day 23. Yesterday morning I candled and 3 were dead. Eggtopsy revealed fully formed with absorbed yolks :/ Then yesterday afternoon two cockerels hatched. One was sticky and I had to rescue it because it was stuck to broody's feathers! Last night I heard peeping in the last egg and tonight it is still peeping but still no external pip. It has been internally pipped for at least 13 hrs.
    How long until I know it needs assistance?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It can take up to 24 hours (I've even heard longer through other's experiences) for a pip to go from internal to external pip.

3. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    We had two external pip on Sunday, and not zip until last night (Wednesday). Kind of interesting because as soon as they were moved into the lowest "last chance for hatching" tray, both of them were out within an hour.

Definitely not the norm, but sometimes they can be slow to do their thing. I thought for sure they'd have some sort of issues, but fine so far.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is a LONG time!!!! Hard to believe they didn't die.

5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    That makes two of us! Those really late hatches always seem to end in disaster for us....

1 person likes this.
  6. ledbythelamb

ledbythelamb Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Thanks you guys. I did end up having to help it out of its shell. It was fine, yolk fully absorbed. Lively and healthy now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by