International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Yes Malika showed hackle color early on, plus she has good type, egg color, and size. I will look through my females to see if there are other options for him also. I am letting the free ranging pullets fully mature before I sort through them any further. They are doing well free ranging, and we seem to have gotten a handle on the varmints.

Malika and Blue Bird shared the same sire, I believe. I would have to dig out my record book to be certain, but I am fairly confident in my memory on that. So that would make Malika the BLC cockerel's aunt. That would be a good pairing in terms of genetic diversity if the BLC ends up being breeder worthy as he matures.
100% correct .Malika and BLC cockerelshare a same Z chromosome . BLC cockerels has one more Z from Duke . so mating him to Malika is good method to produce cockerels with a same Z chromosomes .
I prefer Aunt breeding better than Dam breeding . more genetic diversity .

chooks man

kfelton0002

Crowing
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY
100% correct .Malika and BLC cockerelshare a same Z chromosome . BLC cockerels has one more Z from Duke . so mating him to Malika is good method to produce cockerels with a same Z chromosomes .
I prefer Aunt breeding better than Dam breeding . more genetic diversity .

chooks man
We like to breed aunts/nephews and uncles/nieces as well. I look forward to seeing how the BLC cockerel finishes out. :)

kfelton0002

Crowing
Dec 8, 2015
Southeastern KY

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
I haven't paired anyone up as of yet. The hens arean't laying and are all by themselves. The pullets aren't ready to be with males yet. I may sort them out this weekend and pair the hens with the cockerels if the weather allows for it.

As far as my hens go:
Queen and Duchess will go with Dark Halo
Malika will go with Dark Angel

I have only selected one pullet for sure to use as a breeder and that is Jolie. The others I am still watching as they mature more.

Jolie will go with Dark Angel (siblings).

I will single mate all birds and mark each breeding accordingly.
what about Blue Bird .if she managed to produce cockerel like the BLC she is a breeder in my book . maybe not for body colour but for type for sure . she is proven breeder .
I will pen her with Malika and Dark Angel . he will help to add color to her progeny . she will keep the type .

chooks man

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
here a BC cockerel I did not tag ,because he did not have a tail @ 9 weeks plus he was to black but not pure black . now he 18 weeks old ,he turn up to be solid and thick ,his tail just start to grow . he is a little square too .but I like his strength and solid bones . sired by BM over Kali .
P1110674.JPG
P1110676.JPG
P1110677.JPG
P1110698.JPG

I like him a lot .he will be useful to breed with a Dark cuckoo hens to produce solid black pullets ..

about his tail .I m not worry about it any more . the cuckoo pullets have a stunning tails .plus they all early feathering type .

will never breed him to BC hens ,never .

chooks man

Bantambird

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Near Billings Montana
Hen from surgery suffering from pendulous crop. I've bound it with a pressure wrap over an old sock to try helping it move normally while it heals, she really hates the pressure wrap! The crop is slow and hangs now, so if I can get her used to having that crop bound up, it should help it contract back into a normal shape, if she doesn't relapse.

Chooks man

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2015
Australia NSW
Hen from surgery suffering from pendulous crop. I've bound it with a pressure wrap over an old sock to try helping it move normally while it heals, she really hates the pressure wrap! The crop is slow and hangs now, so if I can get her used to having that crop bound up, it should help it contract back into a normal shape, if she doesn't relapse.
sorry to hear she is still having trouble . they are not used to having some thing wrapped around they neck .
chooks man

Top Bottom