International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

1579883888709.png

@kfelton0002
very nice ,correct shape egg . that what I m talking about .true marans egg . not just dark . shape is very important and the sheen too .
this pullets is a breeder in my book 100% for Correct type egg line .even if she is on the smaller side .
quality of those type of eggs could not be lost .has to be bred true .before any thing else is added to the line .

chooks man

hope your child is doing fine .
OZ country is under too much stress . fire after fire . we lost a lot of bush and wild animals .
bad things we lost a lot fire fighters and lot missing peoples .

we just lost 3 American fire fighter ,they come here to give us a hand ,we lost them the other day .

Hope this fire stop soon ,other wise nothing will be left .
chooks man

Oh my, that is terrible! So tragic to hear of loss after loss. My condolences and prayers go out to the families of the fallen fire fighters. Hopefully the bush will rebound after the fires are stopped and no more lives will be lost. :(

View attachment 2009918
@kfelton0002

agree with you ,this cockerel has some thing special .very long with a deep chest . love his small well angled tail .no way this tail will got high .impossible .has very nice base .
guess this is not to tell who is his Dam , must be your BLC hen ?

he is a keeper for sure .
chooks man

Yes his mother is my sole remaining blue copper hen, Blue Bird I think is her name. I have a couple BLC pullets free ranging as well but none that have jumped out at me as breeder quality yet. I'm glad you agree that he is worth keeping around. :)

Yes his mother is my sole remaining blue copper hen, Blue Bird I think is her name. I have a couple BLC pullets free ranging as well but none that have jumped out at me as breeder quality yet. I'm glad you agree that he is worth keeping around. :)

he is worth keeping for many reasons .
1} he is good looking . good conformation
2} from BLC hen different line to Queen /Malika . he carries different Z chromosome too
3} he is BLC .
4} he is different to the older cockerels you selected .

chooks man

View attachment 2009905
@kfelton0002
very nice ,correct shape egg . that what I m talking about .true marans egg . not just dark . shape is very important and the sheen too .
this pullets is a breeder in my book 100% for Correct type egg line .even if she is on the smaller side .
quality of those type of eggs could not be lost .has to be bred true .before any thing else is added to the line .

chooks man

Thank you! I agree that the quality of egg color and shape is paramount when breeding Marans. My husband and I have an inside joke when collecting my Marans eggs out of the hen house from the layers. We'll pick one up and say "that is what a Marans egg is supposed to look like!" We say this because there was a Marans pullet at the show I attended who laid a cream colored egg right in the show cage prior to judging! I won't disclose the breeder, but I was disappointed. Such a bird would be a cull to me, as a show bird and breeder. I won't purposefully perpetuate "Marans" that lay light eggs like that, not even for use as show birds. I would feel like a fraud. Pardon my rant. lol

Jolie is the best pullet I raised last year and she has decent size, good hackle color, and beautiful type. Now that I know her egg color and shape is good only solidifies her place as a breeder. I haven't weighed her but I think her size is adequate based on how she looks. I will try to get a weight on her tonight.

he is worth keeping for many reasons .
1} he is good looking . good conformation
2} from BLC hen different line to Queen /Malika . he carries different Z chromosome too
3} he is BLC .
4} he is different to the older cockerels you selected .

chooks man

He shares the same sire to the two black copper cockerels I kept, and the pullets I have selected to breed this year. But they have different dams. Duke is his sire.

I will keep him around and see how he grows out. He and Malika may pair well later on in the year, since they are only distantly related.

Back
Top Bottom