International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you! I honestly dont think it was a predator. If it were the bird it chose was completely random. My hen house is near where Malika's pen was so if it were a varmint there were plenty of easier targets. The white legbars were killed on the lower edge of my property by a possum. We caught and killed it the next night. I'm hoping the pullets I have chosen will yield nice offspring this year despite my continuous bad luck.

I guess sometimes we just don't know. I hate not knowing what causes me to loose one!

I guess sometimes we just don't know. I hate not knowing what causes me to loose one!

Me too! And she was my favorite Marans female. That's why you should never pick favorites. I had went out around midnight to get an egg out of her pen because I didnt want it to freeze and she was fine. She and Dark Angel were snuggled up and were right as rain. It was a hard blow to lose her. :(

Unfortunately I have devastating news. I went out yesterday afternoon and found that Malika was dead in her pen. Upon closer inspection she had a quarter sized gash in her neck. I am unsure what happened as it didn't seem like a predator attack. My husband's theory is that Dark Angel was mean to her, but I just can't see him ripping a large gash in Malika's neck. I am very saddened by this. Malika was my best hen. I had such high hopes for her offspring this year, and now my hopes are dashed. I lost all of last year's white legbar pullets in a grow out pen to a possum the other night also. :hit

I spent yesterday combing through my Marans pullets and I have caught up 3 as possible breeders. I will take some pictures as soon as I can.

sorry for your loss:hugs

We just got over some pretty severe flooding in my area as well! I hope your property wasn't damaged by the flood. I'm sorry to hear that Asad injured your hens. I hate a rooster that is mean to females.
Unfortunately I have devastating news. I went out yesterday afternoon and found that Malika was dead in her pen. Upon closer inspection she had a quarter sized gash in her neck. I am unsure what happened as it didn't seem like a predator attack. My husband's theory is that Dark Angel was mean to her, but I just can't see him ripping a large gash in Malika's neck. I am very saddened by this. Malika was my best hen. I had such high hopes for her offspring this year, and now my hopes are dashed. I lost all of last year's white legbar pullets in a grow out pen to a possum the other night also. :hit

I spent yesterday combing through my Marans pullets and I have caught up 3 as possible breeders. I will take some pictures as soon as I can.

I feel your pain .that is very bad new .
you know we can t keep the ones we like for ever .always some thing happen to them .
hope the 3 young pullets will replace her .

I don t think is Dark angel .. if he did it ,than the marking will be on her head ,no where else .could she had the injury before but you did not see it? cough in the wise or some thing like that .

chooks man

We just got over some pretty severe flooding in my area as well! I hope your property wasn't damaged by the flood. I'm sorry to hear that Asad injured your hens. I hate a rooster that is mean to females.

all fine no .the grass is green ,the pullets healed ,lost 2 that all .
sold all my 6 BC pullets and 1 BC cockerel from Group #1 to a friend of mine .she has been waiting for them for over a year . I did not want to sale them . but I could not say no to her . I have many young ones .

Asad is a dog ,not a rooster ,
chooks man

leg band { or leg ring} my youngest group #6 . the cross { import line X to Liza s } they are 10 weeks old ,healthy and happy .my best group .
40 pullets and 22 cockerels =all selected from dark eggs .hens eggs not pullets .
10 BC pullets.
11 splash
19 BLC

cockerels = 14 BC . 5 BLC and 3 Splash

very large number to select from ,well pleased with BC cockerels numbers .I really need them .have too many BLC pullets .

photos soon .too much to do for the moment .
chooks man

I feel your pain .that is very bad new .
you know we can t keep the ones we like for ever .always some thing happen to them .
hope the 3 young pullets will replace her .

I don t think is Dark angel .. if he did it ,than the marking will be on her head ,no where else .could she had the injury before but you did not see it? cough in the wise or some thing like that .

chooks man

Thats what I think. I believe she cut it on the pen somehow. I got her out all the time and petted her because she would walk right to you so if she had a gash on her neck I would have seen it. It is so bizarre. :(

all fine no .the grass is green ,the pullets healed ,lost 2 that all .
sold all my 6 BC pullets and 1 BC cockerel from Group #1 to a friend of mine .she has been waiting for them for over a year . I did not want to sale them . but I could not say no to her . I have many young ones .

Asad is a dog ,not a rooster ,
chooks man

Oh ok I see! We always lose a few chickens in the process of training a dog. Its a small price to pay for years of good service you get out of them once they learn. We always say it takes a LGD until around 2 years old to make a good dog. Before that they are a nuisance. Lol

I bet your friend was delighted with your birds. Hopefully she does well with them. :)

leg band { or leg ring} my youngest group #6 . the cross { import line X to Liza s } they are 10 weeks old ,healthy and happy .my best group .
40 pullets and 22 cockerels =all selected from dark eggs .hens eggs not pullets .
10 BC pullets.
11 splash
19 BLC

cockerels = 14 BC . 5 BLC and 3 Splash

very large number to select from ,well pleased with BC cockerels numbers .I really need them .have too many BLC pullets .

photos soon .too much to do for the moment .
chooks man

That's awesome! Too many is better than too few! :D

Back
Top Bottom