International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thats what I think. I believe she cut it on the pen somehow. I got her out all the time and petted her because she would walk right to you so if she had a gash on her neck I would have seen it. It is so bizarre. :(

bizarre for sure .
did you find any feathers on her coop .like been attacked or bitten by some thing but could not get it out . some small animal ?

chooks man

Oh ok I see! We always lose a few chickens in the process of training a dog. Its a small price to pay for years of good service you get out of them once they learn. We always say it takes a LGD until around 2 years old to make a good dog. Before that they are a nuisance. Lol

I bet your friend was delighted with your birds. Hopefully she does well with them. :)

both of my German shepherd dog are penned now Nikita and Assad , only free when I m around . they injured few chooks .
the marremas are always free ,gentle dogs I ever seen . no body come close to the chooks , even wild bird are not welcome .those dogs take they job seriously . love them .

chooks man

That's awesome! Too many is better than too few! :D

agree with you . too many I have for sure . they are going through the feed like there is no tomorrow . lucky there is a lot fresh grass . make them go away from the feeders .
but when come time to select I will be spoiled .
80 pullets from the eggs I got from Liza s . 40 pure and 40 cross with import .
125 pullets from my chooks ,
45 pullets Marneck { marans roosters over CLB ]

cockerels 50 with leg rings and over 100 or more from group #3/4 and 5 . have not made my selection yet .

chooks man

Here are the females I have penned up to clean out for breeding.

This is 004:
View attachment 2033872
View attachment 2033875

This is yellow band:
View attachment 2033877

This is yellow band's egg:
View attachment 2033878

This is my favorite blue copper pullet:
View attachment 2033880
View attachment 2033881

I think 004 will replace Malika with Dark Angel. Yellow band will probably go with Dark Halo. The blue copper would pair best with Dark Angel I think. Pardon the poor pictures of the last two pullets. They are still a bit freaked out from being penned up.

those are high quality marans pullets . your pairing is right on the money .they will do great .love the long and thick body type plus they hackle marking .
you are one generation from correctly marked BCM pullets/cockerel . those pullets with Dark angle will solve the shoulders pattern 100%
love the oval dark dotted egg of yellow band .
can t wait to see they chicks.

you have done great my friend .
chooks man

Thank you! I honestly dont think it was a predator. If it were the bird it chose was completely random. My hen house is near where Malika's pen was so if it were a varmint there were plenty of easier targets. The white legbars were killed on the lower edge of my property by a possum. We caught and killed it the next night. I'm hoping the pullets I have chosen will yield nice offspring this year despite my continuous bad luck.

luck is like a weather never stay same .some time is rough other time is great . but always does vary .
I wish you and all chooks people good luck .this breeding season .
your pullets will make you proud . keep them safe . you paired them well

chooks man

IMG_2017.JPG
It's an ASBO tag mate.JPG

1582555153927.png

@kfelton0002

she is long .
she is deep
she is wide
she has the best head and comb , she will add strength to your comb breeding program .
her Blue could be more uniform ,but perfect lacing .
BRAVO AGAIN AND AGAIN .

now I have seen Dukes progeny . I know why he is special to you .keep him safe and fit . you will need him in the future for some back crossing for sure . just to lock that lovely body type .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom