International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

what do you mean about the maranians?
your chooks are not french Black marans , they are French black copper marans . in french ; marans noir cuivre.

we work with both standard in this thread . they are similar ,just some peoples try to make it sound different .

chooks man
You would need to go to France and talk to the people who breed them.
There were no standards at the time and if you speak to the people who live in Marans they are rather dismissive of the 'standard'.

did you manage to hatch some marans babies from the pair ?
she really lived long enough . testament to your good animals care .Bravo

chooks man
Nope, not a testament to my care. It's a testament to good genetics that haven't had breeders who are concerned about looks interfere with the breed.
You will find this with a lot of European and Asian breeds. The application of a standard is often to the detriment of the breed.

IMG_20200224_105635799_MP.jpg
IMG_20200223_135117888_HDR.jpg
heres some of my girls and a new baby, black silver, white, a blue silver's hiney

Oh, the silly hen who made herself sick overeating hay is doing very well, although she will have a slightly pendulous crop for quite a while. It has shrink to the point that I just check every few days on the crop but the surgery site has healed up and she has fully reintegrated. She went down a bit on the social ladder, but she is definitely doing good

Unfortunately I have devastating news. I went out yesterday afternoon and found that Malika was dead in her pen. Upon closer inspection she had a quarter sized gash in her neck. I am unsure what happened as it didn't seem like a predator attack. My husband's theory is that Dark Angel was mean to her, but I just can't see him ripping a large gash in Malika's neck. I am very saddened by this. Malika was my best hen. I had such high hopes for her offspring this year, and now my hopes are dashed. I lost all of last year's white legbar pullets in a grow out pen to a possum the other night also. :hit

I spent yesterday combing through my Marans pullets and I have caught up 3 as possible breeders. I will take some pictures as soon as I can.
I am so sorry! That just sucks! I hope you have a good replacement. Sorry my friend!

Hello my friends! Sorry I have been MIA! Everything decided to fall apart all at once. House pump, water heater, drain lines, water lines inside house and outside from pump house to house. They all have to be replaced. Dishwasher has short now. This has been dragging on for what seems like forever! Not anywhere near done. I hope you are all well! Blessings my friends!

Nope, not a testament to my care. It's a testament to good genetics that haven't had breeders who are concerned about looks interfere with the breed.
You will find this with a lot of European and Asian breeds. The application of a standard is often to the detriment of the breed.

I was thinking to breed greek crested chickens and to work on the sop. people rejected my idea exactly for the reasons you said. they say the application of a standard will result in sick and weak birds. I gave it up. I am going to breed them anyway but there will be a colourful flock like so many landrace chickens. the only thing I will care about will be single comb and non feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom