International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hello All,

It’s been a long while since I’ve been on BYC. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks catching up on this thread.

As for me, I lost most of my Marans last summer except for 3 of my older hens (2 BLCM and 1 SC). I lost both of my breeder coqs, Otis and Briscoe, in 2018. The 38 GFF BCM Chicks I got last spring all died by mid-summer. These setbacks took a toll on my drive and passion so I decided to take time away from breeding the chooks.

It’s taken a long while but I’m getting back in the saddle. This past weekend I acquired 20 BCM Chicks from a breeder in South Louisiana. I’ve also been in contact with Harvey Moore about acquiring 2 started quads of BCMs (hopefully by this fall). My thinking is that by working with 2 separate lines I will have more options in the future.

I will post pics of the new chicks soon. I look forward to reconnecting with you all.

Take Care,
Keith
Welcome back! Sorry for your loss. I am glad you are getting a good start. Looking forward to seeing pictures as they grow.

Welcome back! Sorry for your loss. I am glad you are getting a good start. Looking forward to seeing pictures as they grow.

Thanks Marchick! I plan to temper my expectations until they‘re grown. We’ll see how long that lasts LOL. As long as they do not express any major flaws or DQs I should be able to work with them. My very first BCMs in 2014 were from a mix of 5 different US Lines so, of course, every flaw imaginable showed up. I didn’t know better at the time and don’t want to repeat that mistake. With this new group I’ll be happy if they express good type and have a good dose of the dark egg genes. I can fix wverything else in time.

Hopefully you have recovered from the storm y’all had a while back.

Take Care, Keith

Thanks Marchick! I plan to temper my expectations until they‘re grown. We’ll see how long that lasts LOL. As long as they do not express any major flaws or DQs I should be able to work with them. My very first BCMs in 2014 were from a mix of 5 different US Lines so, of course, every flaw imaginable showed up. I didn’t know better at the time and don’t want to repeat that mistake. With this new group I’ll be happy if they express good type and have a good dose of the dark egg genes. I can fix wverything else in time.

Hopefully you have recovered from the storm y’all had a while back.

Take Care, Keith
Thank you! I really think you will do well. Just egg color alone is a big plus. I have fairly nice birds but my egg color can use some improvement. Sorry to say we are in limbo waiting for our house to be fixed. I hope it gets done soon. Winter is not far off. I just moved 1/2 of hatch 3 and 4 into the main pen. I moved all the hens and 2 BC cockerels. I left 15 cockerels that I am pretty sure I won't be keeping.

Last edited:
Based on the parent stock of these new chicks I know that I will have to work on combs, tails and color on the females. Breeder has been working with her line for 5 years and says she has not seen side sprigs, vulture hocks, scissor beaks, etc. I’ll be happy if I get a decent pair to work with.

Here are a few representative pics of the parent stock (not my birds) and their eggs:

View attachment 2285065
View attachment 2285067

View attachment 2285069
View attachment 2285070
View attachment 2285071

good looking parent stock .lovely copper and complete body marking on the rooster . hens look good too .
gorgeous eggs .
good luck with they babies chicks .

chooks man

Thanks All! I know that I am not the only one on this thread that has had troubles or losses with their Marans.

After observing these chicks for 3 days I’m well pleased with their type, hatch down and vigor. Only time will tell what they truly are but I’m hopeful based on what I’m seeing at this stage.

Here are a few chick pics:

View attachment 2285034
View attachment 2285038
View attachment 2285048

View attachment 2285051
View attachment 2285052View attachment 2285034View attachment 2285038View attachment 2285048View attachment 2285051View attachment 2285052

nice looking chicks .lovely and correct hatch down color . correct blue eyes and good type .

chooks man

One of my game hens went broody again on me a few weeks ago. Not wanting any more game mixes and she's a perpetual broody i gave her 7 eggs. 1 from my best laying hen from my layer flock and 6 eggs from Daisy x Drumstick. Mainly to test fertility and hopefully get a few more pullets. This hatch was a disaster. She ate one of the maran eggs 5 days into it, a first for her. Yesterday was day 19 of incubation and i woke up to the layer chick out and fully dried and one of the maran eggs with a pip. Throughout the day and evening kept checking progress and while alive and cheeping none was being made. At midnight last night had to intervene as its cheeps were getting weaker. It was starting to shrink wrap and horribly malpositioned. I really dont know how it managed to make that external pip. It took about 2 and a half hours to carefully extract it from the shell. After some time on a heating pad and some sugar water to give it a boost i returned it to momma. While she was distracted by her 2 new chicks i was finally able to properly candle the remaining eggs and they were all early quitters. One was on the verge of exploding. This morning the chick is stronger and she *I'm praying" is eating, drinking and pooping like a champ. I'll breath a sigh of relief when she's at least 48 hours old but i'm just grateful she's alive at this point. I took these pics of her at 12 hours old when i went out to give her another good drink of electrolyte water.
Meet Clover. Daisy x Drumstick.
View attachment 2284986
View attachment 2284995
View attachment 2284998
View attachment 2284999
View attachment 2285000

correct hatch down but she look very small to me or just a photos .
how old is her mama Daisy ?

chooks man

Daisy is only 6 months old, i know i should have waited until next year to try and hatch from them, but I thought a few for my self wouldn't hurt. Do you think there is early indicators that she is a she? I know from her rough start and how long it took to get her going that my mother who likes the chickens but only had 2 out of my entire mixed flock that she claims as hers has decided that clover is her chicken and not going anywhere.

Thanks All! I know that I am not the only one on this thread that has had troubles or losses with their Marans.

After observing these chicks for 3 days I’m well pleased with their type, hatch down and vigor. Only time will tell what they truly are but I’m hopeful based on what I’m seeing at this stage.

Here are a few chick pics:

View attachment 2285034
View attachment 2285038
View attachment 2285048

View attachment 2285051
View attachment 2285052View attachment 2285034View attachment 2285038View attachment 2285048View attachment 2285051View attachment 2285052
I love these chics ! Nice head, very little white on the face really good blue eyes.Big fat chics. I love chics. I had a good hatch this year, no camera no pic. I have 8 pullets in the first hatch and 7 pullets in the second hope to take these over their sire (cock) father next year. Will get new camera and pics, soon. TOM

I love these chics ! Nice head, very little white on the face really good blue eyes.Big fat chics. I love chics. I had a good hatch this year, no camera no pic. I have 8 pullets in the first hatch and 7 pullets in the second hope to take these over their sire (cock) father next year. Will get new camera and pics, soon. TOM

Thanks Tom! I am well pleased with them so far. It’s over 100 in North Texas so my odd challenge is keeping the chicks cool during the afternoons. They don’t even need a heat lamp right now.

I look forward to seeing your chicks and good luck with them. I hope you have some good pullets to move your line forward.

Take Care, Keith

Thanks Tom! I am well pleased with them so far. It’s over 100 in North Texas so my odd challenge is keeping the chicks cool during the afternoons. They don’t even need a heat lamp right now.

I look forward to seeing your chicks and good luck with them. I hope you have some good pullets to move your line forward.

Take Care, Keith
Yes the heat is a real problem here, also. 105 at my place last week. 100 degrees ++ next week. Keep lots of cold water and shade, maybe a fan? I have less trouble at - 20 I can add heat. Our next project needs to be Climate Control Chicken Yard Ha Ha Ha
ps I was previously Old Man Tom you can see my chics on those post

Back
Top Bottom