International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have a question for you who have more experience with genetics in marans.

I have to cull my cockerels from line #1. All three have vulture hocks and one has parasitic white coming in on his back also. They are nice type, color and mass too. So sad.

The 3 hens from this line are nice type but 2 of the three have marbled eyes.

Should I just scrap this line altogether?
Since all 3 cockerels have vulture hocks, i assume the 3 pullets are carriers. Do i risk breeding them and passing this on?

In line #2, I have two cockerels and 7 pullets who are a month younger than line #1 and all look nice so far.

I would have to find some marans to replace line#1 but I feel this would be the correct thing to do. Im just starting my breeding program so I dont think starting with vulture hocks is a good idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question for you who have more experience with genetics in marans.

I have to cull my cockerels from line #1. All three have vulture hocks and one has parasitic white coming in on his back also. They are nice type, color and mass too. So sad.

The 3 hens from this line are nice type but 2 of the three have marbled eyes.

Should I just scrap this line altogether?
Since all 3 cockerels have vulture hocks, i assume the 3 pullets are carriers. Do i risk breeding them and passing this on?

In line #2, I have two cockerels and 7 pullets who are a month younger than line #1 and all look nice so far.

I would have to find some marans to replace line#1 but I feel this would be the correct thing to do. Im just starting my breeding program so I dont think starting with vulture hocks is a good idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can breed out vulture hocks but it may take a few generations and you will need to hatch a lot of chicks and culling hard to get a few birds you can work with. Since all your cockerel are culls you would have to introduce a new cockerel anyway.

If you’re happy with Line 2 (L2) you can just work with that line. Two cockerels and 7 pullets should give you enough genetic diversity to develop a good flock. Hatch as many chicks (F1) as you can care for to increase your numbers then you can sibling mate (full or half siblings) or cousin mate from the best of the F1 Chooks.

my 2 rooster possibilities. The first has a lot of copper leakage on his chest.

20201018_173230.jpg

20201018_173233.jpg

20201018_173249.jpg

Sorry to hear about your pullet! Hopefully she will recover in time. It always seems our favorites are injured or die somehow. I think the chicken gods don’t want us to have nice chickens. :D
Had a skunk take out my favorite blue cockerel that I was watching just the other day..

Personally while it may not be sop I think the chest copper specks is very attractive on the birds. Someone please correct me but I do not think the chest copper is considered a fault.

Copper spotting, flecking or specks, whatever we call it, is allowed for BCMs per the SOP (French & USA). However, the SOP does not mention how much (%) is allowed. So, in the USA, not more than 10% Copper spotting on the breast is allowed for show birds.

However, as Breeders we can use a male or female with copper leakage to improve the color in their offspring. Breed the Cockerel with copper leakage to a hen/pullet with minimal or no copper hackles will improve the hackle color on the female progeny.

I like a little copper spotting on my BCM Cocks as well since I believe it is more true to the Birchen variety than a solid black breast.

Back
Top Bottom