International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Had a skunk take out my favorite blue cockerel that I was watching just the other day..

I'm so sorry! That is terrible. :(

I've had the same run of bad luck this year, time and again! I had 3 very nice and clear eyed marans grow outs in a large outdoor brooder with some young Games a few days ago I've been watching closely. A cockerel and two pullets, all starting to show proper copper coloring, but too young to join the older grow outs. Rats burrowed in and wiped the entire pen out. The birds were too young to roost and were sitting ducks on the ground. I have waged war on the rats and have been putting out poison. I hate them!!

:hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit

Personally while it may not be sop I think the chest copper specks is very attractive on the birds. Someone please correct me but I do not think the chest copper is considered a fault.

It is considered a fault if it is in excess, it is said over 10% is too much amongst some show Marans folks. It is not a DQ. Judges want to see very little to no chest leakage in show. However, chest leakage on males can be useful in the breeding pen but it shouldn't be excessive. I personally like very minimal chest leakage. None is acceptable on females in show. I choose not to breed mossy or overcolored females.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! That is terrible. :(

I've had the same run of bad luck this year, time and again! I had 3 very nice and clear eyed marans grow outs in a large outdoor brooder with some young Games a few days ago I've been watching closely. A cockerel and two pullets, all starting to show proper copper coloring, but too young to join the older grow outs. Rats burrowed in and wiped the entire pen out. The birds were too young to roost and were sitting ducks on the ground. I have waged war on the rats and have been putting out poison. I hate them!!

:hit :hit :hit :hit :hit :hit

So sorry Kayla!!

Hey everyone. I posted this on the emergency thread, but thought one of you guys may be able to help me.

She is a 20 wk old pullet. Just yesterday I was watching her check out the nesting boxes and I was happy she was doing that!! she was free ranging and chest bumping with her flock mates, she roosted fine at 7 pm. This morning when I opened the coop and everyone ran out- she was laying in the hay, so I moved to her, and she scooted away on her chest/face/ flapping all over and pushing with her legs. I had a 10 am appointment to get my snow tires on so I put her in a cat carrier with food and water and when I got back I took this video.

Any help or ideas? I have inspected her legs and wings and she seems very healthy, although she did have her beak open this morning when I carried her to the feed room and put her away into the cat carrier. So sad. She is holding her tail open (like a turkey) and her head down low to the ground. Cannot balance. When you hold her, you can't feel anything is wrong. She feels strong.

It could be Mareks if treatment otherwise fails. Check her pupils, are they overly dilated? That could be a sign of neurological disease or lesions in the brain. Hopefully the treatment that has been previously posted works for you.

Im very sorry for those who have lost birds. Its awful.

I just reenforced all my pens and runs with hardware cloth because i had a sinking feeling and know something will get in with just the chickenwire. It was time. Chicken wire was just to get the pens up and running.

We have only been here at this place for 10 months. Predators should be moving in soon for mine. Ive noticed over the years that i have more attacks in the fall than any other season.

Im very sorry for those who have lost birds. Its awful.

I just reenforced all my pens and runs with hardware cloth because i had a sinking feeling and know something will get in with just the chickenwire. It was time. Chicken wire was just to get the pens up and running.

We have only been here at this place for 10 months. Predators should be moving in soon for mine. Ive noticed over the years that i have more attacks in the fall than any other season.

Hubby is building me a new grow out pen with a solid floor so varmints can't dig in. I can't take another year of this. Believe it or not, I can handle raccoons and possums taking grown birds free ranging better than rats killing and eating my babies! At least you can set traps and shoot larger varmints like possums and coons to keep them at bay. Rats are never ending. They reproduce so rapidly it is difficult to stop them, you can only hope to control them. :(

Rats only take smaller birds though so that is a plus. They don't bother grown birds. However they did kill some of my son's bantams. Heartbreaking..

Hey everyone. I posted this on the emergency thread, but thought one of you guys may be able to help me.

She is a 20 wk old pullet. Just yesterday I was watching her check out the nesting boxes and I was happy she was doing that!! she was free ranging and chest bumping with her flock mates, she roosted fine at 7 pm. This morning when I opened the coop and everyone ran out- she was laying in the hay, so I moved to her, and she scooted away on her chest/face/ flapping all over and pushing with her legs. I had a 10 am appointment to get my snow tires on so I put her in a cat carrier with food and water and when I got back I took this video.

Any help or ideas? I have inspected her legs and wings and she seems very healthy, although she did have her beak open this morning when I carried her to the feed room and put her away into the cat carrier. So sad. She is holding her tail open (like a turkey) and her head down low to the ground. Cannot balance. When you hold her, you can't feel anything is wrong. She feels strong.

sorry for your chicken.

I had in the past similar cases. some of them had worms, some of them had egg laying issues, some of them MG, etc.

she might be in pain. aspirin will help with that. I mostly give human medicines to my chickens. b complex is the best in such case (in my experience). overdosing for 2-3 days has never been an issue in my experience.

Hubby is building me a new grow out pen with a solid floor so varmints can't dig in. I can't take another year of this. Believe it or not, I can handle raccoons and possums taking grown birds free ranging better than rats killing and eating my babies! At least you can set traps and shoot larger varmints like possums and coons to keep them at bay. Rats are never ending. They reproduce so rapidly it is difficult to stop them, you can only hope to control them. :(

Rats only take smaller birds though so that is a plus. They don't bother grown birds. However they did kill some of my son's bantams. Heartbreaking..

a rat is trying to make a nest under my coop. I have been burning cloth pieces in the hole for the last 2 days and it keeps coming. they ignore poison that I left for them.

Back
Top Bottom