International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Can I ask if its pronounced mah- RANS, or MARE-ans ?? I have always said the former, but the locals here say the latter....

does not matter at all . as long as we can breed them to they proper SOP we will be fine .
my Chinese customer pronounce it very very different . make me lough the way they say it .

chooks man

I believe the correct French pronunciation is Mah-RAHN. The “s” is silent but always included in the spelling. Chooksman speaks French so he will kindly correct me if I’m wrong.

In the U.S., I believe it is pronounced differently depending on which part of the country folks are from. I pronounce it MARE-ans but then again I’m from Texas so we say things a little different. More specifically, I grew up in Deep East Texas near the Louisiana border so we use a mish mash of Southern and Cajun which makes things really interesting sometimes.

love to hear who the mixture of Texas and Louisiana accent will pronounce it .for sure will have nothing to do with how the French say it .
hope we can breed them better than we can pronounce they name .

chooks man

love to hear who the mixture of Texas and Louisiana accent will pronounce it .for sure will have nothing to do with how the French say it .
hope we can breed them better than we can pronounce they name .

chooks man
I hope I can breed them better than I can pronounce the name. I went online and looked it up when I first got into Marans. I am sure I still say it wrong.

The Marans SOP states that that plummage should be moderately tight and smooth textured. You may recall that we have mentioned tight or loose feathering in some of our critiques. I thought I would share an example of loose feathering (undesirable) in one of my growout pullets. I will wait until after her final juvenile molt but I suspect that this fault will not improve. She will most likely end up in my layer pen unless she lays an exceptionally dark egg then I may consider single mating her then culling hard for loose plumage. In the pics, notice how the feathers are fluffed outward from the middle of her back towards her tail.

those type of loose feathers will molt out normally .
let see when she is fully grown .

chooks man

Couple pics of one of my 10 week old cockerels. I don’t think I posted pics of him before. He is maturing slower than the others but I like his type, tail, dark copper hackles and eyes. He’s well chunky and wide thru the shoulders. He has a long way to go but I like what I’m seeing so far.

great body type
great stand
great tail .

chooks man

those type of loose feathers will molt out normally .
let see when she is fully grown .

chooks man

I sure hope so because she has really nice type, eyes and tail. She lack copper hackles but I have a young cockerel that is showing really good color in all the right places so he can fix the hackles in her female progeny.

Back
Top Bottom