International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

please don t start using this show vocabulary . like halo in hackle .

your cockerel have a perfect copper quality .they hackle is not split between 2 colored . they hackle look more uniform .

chooks man

Okay @Chooks man.

I will do my best not to use show vocabulary. Im very ignorant on the language anyway. 🙂

After studying pictures, i am wrong on saying this is what my cockerels have.

In daylight, not on camera, their hackles look orange. But im comparing the color to my line #1 cockerels who all have a beautiful, deep copper.

Thank you all my friends here.

I am expecting perfection before even starting to breed towards that nearly unattainable goal.

Thank you for having patience with me.

I will be culling the line #1 cockerels in the next few days. All 3 have vulture hocks to some degree.

I will post individual pictures of them for you all to look at before i butcher just to be sure that im making the right decision if thats okay. I value everyones opinion.

View attachment 2392434
@Punkybrewster

this pullet is perfect for her age .
she has a perfect copper and a perfect hackle marking .
don t confuse your self by reading from people who don t know marans breed .lot of them in Facebook .

your pullets and cockerels have rich red copper .with gorgeous flames .

they are stunning .
let see the egg color .

well bred BC marans .Bravo to the breeder .
chooks man

Nah. I dont do facebook.
This is the only social media i have.

I am just looking for flaws when i dont know what im doing to begin with.

Yes. The breeder i bought this line #2 from put in all the hard work. Now i need to continue it and try to create my own line with as much care.

I’m not really seeing a halo on either cockerel. They’re are still young so their adult hackles are not fully grown out yet. I like their size - chunky - they are wide thru the chest and their back lengths look good. Tails are at good angles. Personally I like the darker shade of copper.

I like the darker shade of copper too. I think when i see this orange coloring, it makes me think it is wrong.

Thank you @kcrandall

Nah. I dont do facebook.
This is the only social media i have.

I am just looking for flaws when i dont know what im doing to begin with.

Yes. The breeder i bought this line #2 from put in all the hard work. Now i need to continue it and try to create my own line with as much care.

I’ve been raising Marans for a few years now and I still read the SOP for Marans (General) and for BCM (Variety) many times over in a year. It’s just good practice to refresh yourself on the SOP. Observing birds is just one aspect of evaluation we also need to put our hands on them so we can feel the birds structure underneath their plumage.

I made many mistakes in my evaluations early on but thats how I learned and I still have much to learn. Don’t be afraid to to put your evaluation of birds out there for us to review. We may see something different but we explain why so it’s all good because we learn.

We should be constantly evaluating our birds, regardless of age, when we are around them because they change so much especially in the first 8 or 9 months. When first starting our lines we will keep birds that are not SOP but have certain qualities that we want in our lines. If we correctly pair up our males and females we can breed toward an SOP correct bird. When starting a new line I prefer to single mate until I reach a level of consistency.

You have some nice birds to start with so enjoy the ride and try not to worry too much. Your current birds are going to be what they are but how you pair them will make the difference going forward.

Okay @Chooks man.

I will do my best not to use show vocabulary. Im very ignorant on the language anyway. 🙂

After studying pictures, i am wrong on saying this is what my cockerels have.

In daylight, not on camera, their hackles look orange. But im comparing the color to my line #1 cockerels who all have a beautiful, deep copper.

Thank you all my friends here.

I am expecting perfection before even starting to breed towards that nearly unattainable goal.

Thank you for having patience with me.

I will be culling the line #1 cockerels in the next few days. All 3 have vulture hocks to some degree.

I will post individual pictures of them for you all to look at before i butcher just to be sure that im making the right decision if thats okay. I value everyones opinion.

yes some photos of them will be great before you get done with them .
photo of my favorite cockerel . I need to see how he is doing .

chooks man

I’ve been raising Marans for a few years now and I still read the SOP for Marans (General) and for BCM (Variety) many times over in a year. It’s just good practice to refresh yourself on the SOP. Observing birds is just one aspect of evaluation we also need to put our hands on them so we can feel the birds structure underneath their plumage.

I made many mistakes in my evaluations early on but thats how I learned and I still have much to learn. Don’t be afraid to to put your evaluation of birds out there for us to review. We may see something different but we explain why so it’s all good because we learn.

We should be constantly evaluating our birds, regardless of age, when we are around them because they change so much especially in the first 8 or 9 months. When first starting our lines we will keep birds that are not SOP but have certain qualities that we want in our lines. If we correctly pair up our males and females we can breed toward an SOP correct bird. When starting a new line I prefer to single mate until I reach a level of consistency.

You have some nice birds to start with so enjoy the ride and try not to worry too much. Your current birds are going to be what they are but how you pair them will make the difference going forward.

single mating is a best way to start any line .safe too much time and remove the speculation .
chooks man

Thank you for this.
Good advice.

I plan to single mate this year and see what i get. Thats where i hope you all chime in on who mates with who.

Here is Glenn. #1 line.
The favorite from hatch. Best hatch down.
Vulture hocks.

20201030_150609.jpg
20201030_150621.jpg
20201030_150643.jpg
20201030_150651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom