International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Could you please post a photo of vulture hocks? Does it just mean extra thick legs? I googled, but you know how google is. So much on there I can't trust.
Thanks

vulture hocks from a French marans book .
P1120962.JPG
P1120963.JPG

chooks man

Thanks for the photos and descriptions. So, if I am understanding, it's not the heavy foot feathering, but the little "pants" of feathers on the upper thighs...which probably comes along with heavy foot feathering... ok, thanks. Will keep a look out for those.
Looking forward to more baby photos from everyone.
That is correct.

those are vulture hocks for sure . I can see feathers on the middle toe . shouldn t be there . any way it is a easy fix nothing to worry about it .
to fix the vultures hocks in any line we have to cross it to clean legged strain .
Clean legs gene is pti+ recessive .
Vulture hocks or very heavy legs feathering gene is Pti 2 dominant .
Marans should have light leg feathering .Pti1 gene .

chooks man

1614868754892.png
1614868754892.png

@Punkybrewster
this pullet is absolutely sublime . love the way she stand . solid on her feet .
lovely body type and every thing else .love her light feathering feet ,well spaced . lovely tail as well . every thing about her is correct . keep your eyes on her .
we want to produce chicks like her in the future . well happy for you my friend . we don t need a thousand pullets to breed good marans ,what we need is a quality pullets like her .
love to see her fully grown . she will be stunning hen for sure .
chooks man

View attachment 2554481View attachment 2554481

@Punkybrewster
this pullet is absolutely sublime . love the way she stand . solid on her feet .
lovely body type and every thing else .love her light feathering feet ,well spaced . lovely tail as well . every thing about her is correct . keep your eyes on her .
we want to produce chicks like her in the future . well happy for you my friend . we don t need a thousand pullets to breed good marans ,what we need is a quality pullets like her .
love to see her fully grown . she will be stunning hen for sure .
chooks man
Thank you.
I am hoping her eggs are dark also.
I think she is the only pullet in this bunch. In a couple more weeks we should know for sure.

those are vulture hocks for sure . I can see feathers on the middle toe . shouldn t be there . any way it is a easy fix nothing to worry about it .
to fix the vultures hocks in any line we have to cross it to clean legged strain .
Clean legs gene is pti+ recessive .
Vulture hocks or very heavy legs feathering gene is Pti 2 dominant .
Marans should have light leg feathering .Pti1 gene .

chooks man
I believe he is the only one.
Most look to have nice light feathering so far.
He will be a cull.

I would never have known how to spot vulture hocks at this age if you did not teach me last year.

Back
Top Bottom