International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Line #3
W131
She lays a dark speckled egg for a long time.

View attachment 3276072View attachment 3276073

Line#2
W114
She lays a very dark egg.
They are long eggs though.

View attachment 3276081View attachment 3276082
@Punkybrewster we are keeping these 4 hens ( 2 from line#2 and 2 from line #3) to breed pullets line from them .
we just need to breed them lightly and we can let them go if you want .
we need to mate them to 2 best cockerel we kept .yellow tag and one of the other 2 .the one with a nicest comb . that will give us different group of pullets to select from in the future .
so to make it clear =
.the 4 hens we are keeping are pullets line hens . we back cross them to the young cockerel, they pullets progeny should lay dark eggs . this pen is pullets line .
the other 3 best pullets we selected before are to produce for as cockerels . this pen is to produce better comb and well colored cockerels .this pen will be cockerels pen .
now you have 2 breeding pen .
4 adult hens .
3 older pullets.
3 cockerels ( yellow tag and other 2 his half brothers)
the rest you can sale them or do what ever you want with them .

I will rexplain this method to you later when I have more time .I m on my way to the farm today ,so I m running out of time .
chooks man

View attachment 3256990
@marchick
your cockerel is stunning .
proper marans body type ,great blue colour with a good lucing , good head and comb .
that how marans rooster should look and stand .
bravo my dear friend ,mist chatting to you .hope you are well .
I red in some of your post that you are having some health trouble . I feel your pain , I ll pray for you. you are always in my though and heard . blessing and hope I ll hear from you soon .
the good thing about this threat is ,we are all very good friends ,we care about each other . plus we help each other to bred great marans .
chooks man
This rooster I was thinking of culling. He has a lot of white at the base his tail. I hatched 4 BC cockerels from him. I am really wanting a BC rooster to work with.

hi my dear friend log time .
your rooster is absolutely stunning type and has a gorgeous marking ,lovely head and comb ,good tail too .
now you can work on breeding out the white fluff .
impressed about the work you have done my friend .
chooks man
Thank you my friend! Sorry I haven't been on in so long. I have been not well with autoimmune disorders. I also have psoriatic arthritis that has been really difficult getting things done. I am just trying to keep going at this point.

that is great if you have 4 BC cockerels from him .they must be good looking like him .
chooks man
I don't have great pictures but found these. They are young still around 12 weeks I think.

Attachments

• 20220906_190137.jpg
    20220906_190137.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220906_190107.jpg
    20220906_190107.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220906_190110.jpg
    20220906_190110.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220906_190043.jpg
    20220906_190043.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I don't have great pictures but found these. They are young still around 12 weeks I think.
On the train now to the farm. Working from my phone. I like these young BC cockerels they are showing a lot great traits like long chuncky body and low tail angles . Great job. I ll comment on them properly when I m working from my lap top next Tuesday. Chooks man

@Punkybrewster we are keeping these 4 hens ( 2 from line#2 and 2 from line #3) to breed pullets line from them .
we just need to breed them lightly and we can let them go if you want .
we need to mate them to 2 best cockerel we kept .yellow tag and one of the other 2 .the one with a nicest comb . that will give us different group of pullets to select from in the future .
so to make it clear =
.the 4 hens we are keeping are pullets line hens . we back cross them to the young cockerel, they pullets progeny should lay dark eggs . this pen is pullets line .
the other 3 best pullets we selected before are to produce for as cockerels . this pen is to produce better comb and well colored cockerels .this pen will be cockerels pen .
now you have 2 breeding pen .
4 adult hens .
3 older pullets.
3 cockerels ( yellow tag and other 2 his half brothers)
the rest you can sale them or do what ever you want with them .

I will rexplain this method to you later when I have more time .I m on my way to the farm today ,so I m running out of time .
chooks man
@Punkybrewster there is many reason we are keeping the older hens . First because they lay dark eggs . Second we need to cross back the young cockerels to they dams and aunts . Third we need to breed from mature hen to keep the longevity in the flock . Never work only with a young stock . Bad practice. We keep the best older hen for as long as we can as long as she is laying. Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom