International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

7F72EF18-0E76-4BE9-AA5D-C77CF42B1DA4.jpeg
D5F6CC93-CA90-4DD4-B85C-4AC06FC9DCE1.jpeg

@chickengr here are my 2 golden Salmon hen with extra dark brown gene. Than why the are red .I ll be breeding them both to my blue wheaten . He has red leakage on his chest . Will take me couple of generation to breed a pure Salmon Cockerels . Those hens are massive with long and low to the ground body type super solid. They eggs are large but not that dark #4 at best .
Here a photos of the rooster
96740A24-1841-49E3-9EAC-9D6AF27F6A49.jpeg
he has a stunning comb and stance . Correct medium body type . Great walker, Day Walker son . He is half brother to the hens , from the sire end.
I will breed them to the F1 blue birchen to produce Silver Salmon line . Here his photo . He will match them well . They will produce big chooks for sure
Chooks man

View attachment 3279148View attachment 3279145
@chickengr here are my 2 golden Salmon hen with extra dark brown gene. Than why the are red .I ll be breeding them both to my blue wheaten . He has red leakage on his chest . Will take me couple of generation to breed a pure Salmon Cockerels . Those hens are massive with long and low to the ground body type super solid. They eggs are large but not that dark #4 at best .
Here a photos of the roosterView attachment 3279146he has a stunning comb and stance . Correct medium body type . Great walker, Day Walker son . He is half brother to the hens , from the sire end.
I will breed them to the F1 blue birchen to produce Silver Salmon line . Here his photo . He will match them well . They will produce big chooks for sure
Chooks man
Sorry I don t know where the second photo of the hen is going . Very hard to work from the phone.
2CC31B52-95CA-4954-9004-936BF78F54F4.jpeg
chooks nan

european blood? pure french, I hope.

I just remember the conversation we had where i made the mistake of thinking only pullet chicks would have a brown spot. You said that you have had cockerels with the spot. I marked the chicks I hatched with a brown spot on their heads. This one grew to be a cockerel.

My original Marans, lines #1,2,3 all came from french imported stock. This was my understanding when I bought them.
How true that is, I dont know.

@Punkybrewster we are keeping these 4 hens ( 2 from line#2 and 2 from line #3) to breed pullets line from them .
we just need to breed them lightly and we can let them go if you want .
we need to mate them to 2 best cockerel we kept .yellow tag and one of the other 2 .the one with a nicest comb . that will give us different group of pullets to select from in the future .
so to make it clear =
.the 4 hens we are keeping are pullets line hens . we back cross them to the young cockerel, they pullets progeny should lay dark eggs . this pen is pullets line .
the other 3 best pullets we selected before are to produce for as cockerels . this pen is to produce better comb and well colored cockerels .this pen will be cockerels pen .
now you have 2 breeding pen .
4 adult hens .
3 older pullets.
3 cockerels ( yellow tag and other 2 his half brothers)
the rest you can sale them or do what ever you want with them .

I will rexplain this method to you later when I have more time .I m on my way to the farm today ,so I m running out of time .
chooks man
@Punkybrewster ;
here a more detailed explanation of the breeding method .
pen#1 older hens to produce pullets . we will have a great result if you know witch hen lay what sort of eggs . so we can select in future progeny from different hens .
we mate them to a yellow tag roster and his half brother this guy in the middle .we have to name them , that will make it easier for us to talk about them .
1664853448734.png

from this matting we will 2 different type of progeny one hatch from each rooster , we select the best pullets from each hatch ,we select only the one they lay dark eggs , the other traits will not be that important to us in this group for the moment .
if we don t get dark eggs layer pullets than we select the best cockerel or 2 from this hatch and we cross them back to they mothers hens for the second crossing , that should do the job 100% .
but I m confident the first back cross will throw dark eggs layer 90% for sure . we keep the best pullets from each hatch. one group from one rooster will stay in a pullets pen to produce pullets. the second group from the second rooster will go to the cockerels pen to produce cockerels
this dark eggs layer pullets we will mate them to cockerels come out of the cockerels pens .
we will try to keep the variation in each pen . so they never be 100 % related as brother sister mating .
chooks man

@Punkybrewster = here the details of how to breed your oldest 3 pullets we selected .
we mate them first to a yellow tag rooster and we try to produce a best 2 cockerels possible , this cockerels should have no fault . we keep them a side .
we mate them to the second rooster the one with a nice comb. this one
1664855496132.png

we select 2 of his best sons .they should be perfect .I m confident they will be , this breeding pen has all the good traits .
we do not keep pullets from this pen ,because we are breeding for type not dark eggs layers .
from this 4 brothers we will be keeping . 2 from yellow tag roster and 2 from good comb rooster .
yellow tag 2 sons will be going over to to a pullets pen ,they will be mated to pullets from the other rooster not pullets from yellow tag to produce future pullets .
pullets from yellow tag rooster will come to the cockerel pen ,they will be mated to the 2 cockerels sons of good comb to produce future cockerel

this is step 2 . step 3 will be different than step 1 and 2 . each step is designed to achieve new genetic combination .
lot breeders will say Ah just mate the mother to her best son and a father to his best daughter . this method for me deos not have enough depth . this method is more of reproducing the perfect bird ,witch we don t have for the moment ,maybe one day we will have .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom