International Chick of Mystery Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itsmatt, May 19, 2008.

1. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    My chicks have arrived and they are peep-peep-peeping away. They are quite ridiculous to watch - everything is 'peckable' and there seems to be nothing more fun than sprinting across the length of the box. My kids are enjoying them.

Five of the six I got are identified, but one is a mystery. It was thrown in (not literally) with the bunch from a straight run, supposedly an 'exotic' one, but that is all I know. Any guesses? Here are a few pictures.

Thanks,
    Matt

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    if it's from MMM good chance is that its an EE, seems like that is what everyone is getting so far.

3. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    I concur, it looks like an EE, but, the face and legs could mean otherwise (EE legs usually a little more greenish).

Glad to hear you have some healthy active babies.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    well, it's a cute little chickie, whatever it is!!!! I'm getting my MM order next week, and I'm hoping I don't get an EE!!! I already have 1, and 2 ameraucanas! I want something that will at least keep me guessing for a while! Good luck with your breed search....someone on here is bound to know!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I do not think an EE or Ameraucana...the legs would be greenish or bluish...

Is the little one reddish in color? she somewhat reminds me of RIR or NHR. I am certainly no expert. [​IMG]

6. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I got my EE from McMurray and her legs didn't have the greenish tint until about the 3rd day I had her. Now at 3 1/2 weeks they are definatley a greenish brown. I don't know my first chicks so maybe she's just odd or maybe it's something in the cross? [​IMG]

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    My mystery chick is an EE, but the legs gradually changed from mostly yellow to greenish yellow now. They are darkening as it gets older. It's just about a month old now, and I still don't see any hints as to cockerel or pullet.

8. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    Your chick looks just like one of the EEs I got from Ideal Poultry.

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Matt does it have puffy cheeks? Looks kinda like my Ameraucana cept for the legs.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

10. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    mine are from MMM when they first arrived their legs were yellow and have gradually turned green, as chicks most didn't have puffy cheeks , some did not all, those are now developing too. Unless you just don't want an EE we will cross our fingers that is isn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by