International chicken travel

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by killaraburn, Jan 27, 2011.

1. killaraburn

killaraburn New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    A crazy idea, in practical terms, but am just thinking of taking a couple of favorite hens to the UK. Does anyone have advice on whether this is even possible, let alone what might be required in terms of health checks/red tape?

Thanks.

Deep in snow in Massachusetts....

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I'm not sure but you may have to have them in quarantine for a while which would cost a lot [​IMG]

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    International travel regulations search brought up:

Advisory: Until further notice, there is a temporary ban on the importation of pet birds from countries/ regions affected with highly pathogenic Avian influenza subtype H5NI. See the Animal and Animal Product Import Information page for more information. ( Animal and Animal Product Import Information )

Meats, Livestock and Poultry
    The regulations governing meat and meat products are stringent. You may not import fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries into the United States. Also, you may not import food products that have been prepared with meat.

The regulations on importing meat and meat products change frequently because they are based on disease outbreaks in different areas of the world. APHIS, which regulates meats and meat products as well as fruits and vegetables, invites you to contact them for more information on importing meats. A list of countries and/or regions with specific livestock or poultry diseases can be found at the Animal Disease Status page. ( Animal Disease Status )

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_disease_status.shtml

depends on where you're going, lots of import to the US rules... UK, I don't know but I'm sure they are all in a panic about h1n1... but I highly doubt you'll be able too. And I personally would hate to put them in quarintine for a month... I dont trust people!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by