International Duckling Transport??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LNej375, Jul 6, 2016.

1. LNej375

LNej375 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Hi,

Currently, I am in Iran on a vacation to visit family. While driving today, I saw several men with around 50 cages shoved to the brim with birds. Though I always avoid giving money to these conditions, I couldn't help myself, and I brought two little ducklings home. As of now, they're swimming in a large plastic bowl with cornmeal and drinking water on the side. I have 15 days before leaving to Virginia and while I could find a home for them here, I desperately want to raise them back in America. Any advice on how to bring them home would be greatly appreciated. We are flying with Austrian Airlines, first to Austria, then to the U.S. Is shipping live internationally a safe and reliable option? They do not have paperwork of any kind. Price is not a problem.

Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @LNej375 contact the airlines they can give you all info. you may need a vets health paper verifying they are healthy, but I really don't know what it would entail to bring them to the US. Some animals have to be in quarenteen to go from one country into another, but poultry maybe completely different especially with Bird Flu In other parts of the world. So I'd say start with airlines first. I sure hope you can bring them home.

Welcome to BYC.

3. LNej375

LNej375 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Turns out birds can't be imported to the USA from Iran right now due to Avian Influenza restrictions :( I'm looking into surrendering them to the SPCA in a nearby city.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you know if there is a rescue group close by, that might be something to look into also. So sorry you can't bring them home with you I had the feeling the A flu would be the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by