Interview with urban & suburban chickenkeepers- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksChick, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    1. What is the most important thing when considering keeping urban chickens?

2. What is the most rewarding moment of chicken ownership?

3. How does allowing chickens benefit a city?

4. What is the hardest part of owning chickens in town?

5. What would you like to share with people considering chicken ownership?

Thanks so much! I'm thinking of starting a chicken-sitting business...an article is being written regarding it and our chicken keeping- they're taking a pic of me in a formal and hubby in a tux, in a ballroom w/chandeliers, holding chickens...Urban Urbane....[​IMG]

I want to talk about BYC and how other urban chicken owners think about these items.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia

The law. You need to know what the laws of your city are because most likely, you will have a run-in with animal control at some point. Neighbors tend to be nosey and there will always be someone who doesn't like chickens no matter how clean and quiet they are.

The first egg! Knowing that I am able to provide the best eggs for my family and even sell enough to pay for their feed is great!

Anything that helps people to eat locally is good for all of us. My chickens also consume almost all of the green waste that the city used to have to come pick up on trash day.

Keeping the neighbors happy. People tend to be so ignorant about chickens that they automatically think of them as being stinky and noisy. I also wish that I could have a rooster so that I was able to hatch chicks from my flock, but the laws in my city forbid roosters.

I think people need to be more aware of what store-bought eggs bring with them. Medications, age, and produced by chickens kept in very poor conditions. I think most people actually think their "farm-fresh" eggs from the store are actually fresh. They don't realize how old they might actually be. Chickens are also delightful to watch and provide lots of entertainment for the whole family. They are helpful in teaching my children to understand and respect where their food comes from.

3. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Fabulous answers- thank you!!

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Does anyone else want to share what they think?

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    ~Sanitation and ventilation requirements

~For me, walking outside and calling the chickens and having them race to gate to meet me

~How does allowing any pets benefit a city? Hmmmm, maybe if the city dweelers are happy, the city will be happier?

~ No trouble for me yet

~Its a fun venture

6. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    A- Keeping your neighbors happy. This means cleaning the chicken area regularly, no roos if you aren't allowed to have them, and giving the neighbors fresh eggs.

A- When I walk in my chicken pen and they fly up on my shoulder, arms and/or back. The way they look at you when you are talking to them.

A- Encourages people to take a step to being self-sufficient- provide their own eggs, meat, fertilizer, bug exterminators, weed control, psychologist- stress reducers, etc. May also bring neighbors to be neighborly.

A- If allowed to have roos, I would think keeping them quiet until a decent time. (I have great neighbors who sleep through the 4:00am crowing fest my roosters have).

A- If you are looking to chickens as an investment, forget it!
    If you are looking to chickens as a source of entertainment, eggs, and/or meat, then go for it. They all have different personalities just like any pet. The downside is they are very bad housekeepers, so you do need to clean up after them regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by