Intestinal shed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khargett55, May 2, 2017.

1. khargett55

khargett55 New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Hi there so I've noticed some intestinal shed and I've googled it but my dilemma is I'm getting mixed reviews over the sheds either it says it's ok it's normal or that it is bad and you need to give your birds corrid because it's a sign of disease such as cocci. So I'm confused anyone have some imput?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's really frequent then there's probably something wrong, otherwise it's pretty normal

3. khargett55

khargett55 New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Ok I have 6 chickens their between 6-7 weeks I've noticed it for a few days but it's really not bloody so I was trying not to worry to much do you think more than one bird would shed at the same time? I'm getting corrid this evening...none of my birds are having any other symptoms either.

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible more than one bird was shedding, if it does continue, or you notice any other symptoms then there's is probably a problem

5. khargett55

khargett55 New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Thank you I appreciate the advice

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Here are a couple of links, with pictures, that may help : http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Generally speaking, intestinal lining tends to be more pinkish/orange, where as bloody tends to be brighter red. If you are in doubt, see if your vet will do a fecal float test to check for the presence of cocci. Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds, but not all.
    Also, coccidiosis does not always present with blood, there are different strains, some more virulent than others, some present with blood, others will just be runny or mucousy droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by