CosmoNOT

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2018
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
This morning, I found 3-4 odd looking poops where the chickens roost. My first thought was worms, specifically large roundworm because of the size of the 'worms' in the poop. I added Wazine 17 to the waters for all birds but now realize the 'worms' may just be intestinal shedding.

Based on the photos, what do you think? Worms, intestinal shed, or something else? Also, if it is intestinal shed could it be caused by too much scratch grain or changing from crumble to pellet feed?
20181017_080446[1].jpg

20181017_080440[1].jpg
20181017_080508[1].jpg

A little more info about the flock: It is a mixed flock of guineas (7), turkeys (4), and chickens (14) -all about 13 weeks old and shipped in from the hatchery together. They free range together, however, the chicken (hens mainly) try to stay separate from the turkeys and guineas, and roost separately in one of two coops/runs. It just started getting cold last week and the birds have been kept lock up the past couple days to keep them off of wet concrete - I mention this because it is difficult to tell if they are exhibiting any symptoms such as listlessness or fluffed feathers.... One rooster had a runny nose this morning and a turkey sneezed a couple times yesterday, which will hopefully go away after a good coop cleaning.
Thank you in advance for your thoughtful contribution to this thread!

Attachments

• 20181017_080459[1].jpg
    20181017_080459[1].jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 5
Also, if it is intestinal shed could it be caused by too much scratch grain or changing from crumble to pellet feed?
It just started getting cold last week and the birds have been kept lock up the past couple days to keep them off of wet concrete
One rooster had a runny nose this morning and a turkey sneezed a couple times yesterday
To me, it looks like intestinal shedding. Since you started the Wazine, then do the follow up as directed on the bottle.

Feed and scratch are ground up in the gizzard as long as they birds have access to grit (crushed granite) so should not have anything to do with the intestinal shedding.

What are your plans for them this winter - where are they being kept locked up? Do they have access to outdoors?

If you are seeing a runny nose, see if cleaning helps, you also need to check to make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your housing. Even though it's getting colder, housing does not need to be shut up tight, this will cause you some problems.

Just my 2¢

I never see intestinal lining in my chickens poop since I have them but i have read that they drop some lining in poop it didn't look worms but it is good u administrator wazine

Back
Top Bottom