intestines out--chick is gone

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maplesky7, Apr 25, 2009.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Ok...so I did a search and read nearly all....

My chick just hatched and it really looks like squiggly intestine is out? like it's bottom is open...looks more like intestine than a yolk sac.

I have read cull it with scissors and I have read leave it be, let nature take it's course, and I have read tape it and cover it?

I do not have blue kote...the places around here do not carry blue kote.

What should I do?

The poor little chicky.

This is day 23 and there is one more in there almost dry...will put her in the brooder soon....and I hear at least one more in the shell...the others don't seem to have any life.

12 are hatched...including this one...but I have moved the others to the brooder.

Help!!!

me,
    g

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    I had the same thing happen to my little chick and it laid around all day limp. I nursed it every hour with water with electrolytes in it with a dropper. Then I put it back in the incubator and all of the sudden it started to get up and walk around. Its little intestines were dragging the ground behind it. Ewww. After a day they dried up and I cut them off. The chick was fine and it is the fiestiest one of all. I wouldn't cull it if I were you.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The two I have had hatch this way both expired. It was not pretty to watch. I would cull it if it is truly intestine.

nstamper2000, your chick may have had some tissue not drawn up but if it had been intestine and you snipped it then the chick would have died for certain. Most likely just tissue. [​IMG]

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I have had this problem with several chicks but they were really active. And every time they moved, the intestines poked out even farther. What we did was take a moist q tip and hold they intestines in until they stayed there. Sometimes it took 5 minutes, sometimes it took an hour. Either way, they all lived and thrived.

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    This chick is wet from just emerging...I will leave it to rest for now, I think.

Thanks all for your replys.

I really do believe it's intestines. I'm afraid to open the bator and look at it again.

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ok...I was able to see it through the lid...it's definately intestines. [​IMG]

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    My mystery yellow chicky is dead. Rest in peace lil one.

8. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry!

9. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    you are prolly right. I think now it was just tissue. I am sorry about your little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by