Into the bator 11/22/08

Grampa with chickens

Songster
14 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Brooksville, Florida
Hi all,
I have been lurking around here for a while learning what I could. This forum is great. I built my own bator with the help of the forum. And now I have put my first batch of eggs in to hatch.
The eggs were bought so not sure of the breed. My chickens have stopped laying. This batch is a test so when I get my own eggs, I'll be ready to go .

Thanks for all the help BYC.

welcome-byc.gif
We are glad you joined us!

You bought eggs but don't know what breed they are? Did you just buy some from someone who sells fresh eggs or something? Are you certain they are fertile if so?
I hope you have good luck with the new bator project and the eggs! How exciting!!!!!

Good for you on making your own bator. I may have to try making my own sometime..I have one bought and had a turner in it but it kept getting stuck all the time so I took it out and turn myself so they get turned..did you build a turner in yours too. Let us know how it works..

Maybe I should say.......

I was told the seller had RIR and some mixes all together. So what I got was a potluck. That's OK as I was looking for something to test my bator with. That way when my hens start laying, I'm ready to go.
Also, the seller told me these were fertile. So we will see.

Well here is an update and a question.........

Today if I counted right is day 8. As I set these in last Saturday morning. I thought I'd take a shot at candling as I have no clue what I'm doing. Of 12 eggs in the bator, I clearly saw 4 chicks with blood vessels (sp). I saw a couple of duds and some I'm not sure of yet. I'm probably a little early in the game.
My question is A few eggs had a mass floating around the top of the egg. A couple had a little dark spot in it, but the mass looked like it didn't have blood vessels. Yoke maybe? I will give them until next week and candle again and see. Any idea if these are junk or just to early yet??

Thanks for the insight.

Grandpa

I am not the best judge on this but I had some of a batch that is coming off next weekend and had to throw away 6 of them..I waited till 10-11 day to do so and they were empty except egg. the ones hatching now going good except not sure on the one that just born morning will tell..It struggled all day. I got 13 good ones though that are eating and drinking..

Hope you bator works good for you...I live not far from you either..surrounded by Floridans.

Update................................

Everybody came home and I shared my news with them. Of course, they all wanted to see them. So I did a no no and we candled them again to show them off. We found 2 more that I overlooked the first time. I'm up to 6 for sure. The rest are questionable so we will see in a few days.

Grampa

Update Day 10.............................

Well, we candled again last night. My 6 chicks are now 5 that are moving and swimming. The one looks like it quit developing. The rest are just blobs and two are clear. What is a good time to call the bad ones bad??

I'm starting to get exicited. This is my first batch and I'm pretty pleased that any of them are developing. My homemade bator seems to be doing it's job.

Grampa

Back
Top Bottom