Intoduced 4 Laying Hens to Flock-not going well!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tish_matt, Dec 26, 2013.

1. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    We introduced 4 egg laying hens into our flock, they are about 2.5 years old and laying great. We already have 9 mix breeds that are 6 months old that we have owned since they were 4 weeks. So when the "new" birds moved in they took OVER, everything, our birds are stuck outside, they are chased away from scraps and water. When i bring water and scraps to the run the new chickens chase ours away and it sounds as though our old chickens area crying. My kids and I are very sad to see our chickens getting picked on and beat up. We read about the pecking order but it is really sad to see how mean the new chickens are being. Will this really resolve eventually or is this going to be "normal"?

We want to get rid of the chickens but considered making splitting our coop and having them be totally free range with a coop to their selves.

Any advice?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I would give it a few days before I did anything. This might be just a short period of re-establishing the pecking order. That being said, I would separate them if much blood is shed. I hope you figure it out!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken society is like mean girls in high school. Big chickens beat up strange or smaller chickens. Make sure that all chickens are getting to eat and drink by providing feed and water in several places separated by as much distance as is possible. As long as no serious physical harm is happening (Excessive pecking resulting in bleeding) let them work things out.

4. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    No bleeding that we have seen, we have new the "new" chickens for 1.5 weeks.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Establishing a pecking order is not unlike the making of laws and sausages. Neither one do you want to see being made. Not the most pretty thing you will ever see. But things will work themselves out.

6. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I agree. I would just give them time, wait it out.

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Takes time and patience. I added an EE and a Wyandotte a year or so ago to an existing flock and that EE was fighting with everyone until I gave her a couple blasts of water from the hose when she was fighting. Within a couple of days it was peace and tranquility in the group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by