1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Intoducing a roster to hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by th_roster, Nov 22, 2009.

1. th_roster

th_roster Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Floyd. va
    I have three hens one of them has been laying for about two weeks. Now I would like to buy a roster to mate with the hens. Here is where I need help. I have read that a roster needs more than just a few hens. but can I mate the roster with a hen for a few days, then keep the eggs from that one hen? And If I do that will the hen store the rosters "stuff" or will I need to keep letting them spend time together? I eat my eggs. and I dont know if I can eat a fertanized egg?

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:I have some roosters with only one or two hens... they do fine. It could depend on the breed, though.

Quote:If you can determine that the eggs came from that one hen... if she's running with others, you may not be able to keep track.

Quote:Hens can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks after mating with the rooster.

Quote:Yes.

Also... read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

3. th_roster

th_roster Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Floyd. va
    I have Red Island reds. And about how long should I let the roster and hen stay together?

4. th_roster

th_roster Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Floyd. va
    I have Rode Island reds. And about how long should I let the roster and hen stay together?

5. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    My roosters and hens are together all the time.
    Unless you have a reason to keep them separate, why not let them stay together?

6. th_roster

th_roster Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Floyd. va
    Thank you very much for inpu and the link.

7. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    You're very welccome! [​IMG]
    Good luck with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by