Intregrating

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ViolinPlayer123, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hi there, is 10 weeks to young to integrate into a full size flock? BTW its only one chicken.

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Is the 10 week living without heat.. ?
    Is the coop warm?
    If you got a decent coop.. I think it would be ok.. supervise make sure

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Integrating a single new bird can be very difficult and very hard on the new bird. Personally I'd probably wait until she's a little older. Has she been penned next to the flock so they can start getting used to her while still separated by a fence? If not that's where I'd start, then add in the lowest ranking hen from the flock with her and see how things go, then add some more from the flock. Chickens can be brutal to newcomers and it's better to take it slow rather then just pop her in with them because once they get it in their heads to attack a single new bird they sometimes don't get over that mentality. I have integrated single new birds in the past, I won't do it anymore, much easier when it's two or three new birds.

4. ViolinPlayer123

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    How about if I do it at night and just pop her on the roost?

5. ViolinPlayer123

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yes to both questions.

6. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    can you put her in a cage during the day.. they may get to know her without hurting her..try that for few days

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You can try it, just make sure you are there to supervise before they get off the roost in the morning. If it works you are that much farther ahead. I will say I have tried that approach, it has never worked for me, especially with a small flock. If integrating several new birds into a larger flock, then yes. Chickens are smart enough to recognize a newcomer in the morning and it can go very badly for the new bird if they decide to attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by