intrergrating birds to existing flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marktoo, Jun 26, 2016.

1. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

So, back some 3+ years ago I got four Wyandotte chicks, really only wanting 3 but figured one wouldn't make it or be a cockerel, as it turned out all were pullets. One of the 4 I recently put down after unsuccessfully treating for prolapsed vent. Deciding to augment the flock, after much hemming & hawing as to get 2 or 3 chicks I finally went with 2 Australorps. Now as fate would have it, even though these were sexed chicks, now 9 weeks old, it is almost certain one is a cockerel. The chicks have been housed in their own coop & run for the past month next to the hens. They all free range together, the hens are unable to get into the chicks run. That is their safe haven! The question is, if at some point I decide to cull or rehome the cockerel, how will the single pullet fair with the 3 hens? Should I rehome the pair & get 3 chicks next time out. Probably get 2 cockerels & 1 pullet! [​IMG] Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you wait until the pullet is mature than it should be okay, but I don't know if you want to wait that long.

3. marktoo

Thanks! I was gonna wait for at least another 6 or 7 weeks then put them both in the coop in the dead of night. First crow that passes his lips & it's cockerel soup!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd wait until they are all integrated to get rid of the cockerel....
    ....and know that the 'dead of the night' thing is often unsuccessful,
    tho if you're free ranging them you've got a better chance....maybe.

Hopefully the main coop and run has lots of space and places for the youngsters to 'hide' and get away from aggressors.

Are you not allowed to have crowing birds?

5. marktoo

Ha! No birds! There chickens all over town including roosters but I'm not that foolish. I was gonna wait as long as I could but I can't have him crowing. They always have 300 sq ft & usually 500. I appreciate your input.

6. marktoo

So, the cockerel had been making his first attempts at crowing at 5:30 the past several mornings. Awful noise! I went ahead & placed the youngsters in with the big girls late at night. Both slept in the following morning. When they got up, he started practising. Although it was my intention to wait, I went ahead & processed my first bird. The kill went well, processing ok. The pullet went in the coop of her own accord. When I looked before bed she was sound asleep on one side of the coop, the others wide awake huddled together on the other. Hopefully they will make her more welcome at some point.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good for you!!....make sure you let carcass rest in fridge for 48-72 hours, to let rigor mortis pass, before cooking or freezing or meat may be too tough to eat.

Note: pullets and hens can make a lot of noise too...so getting rid of the crower still might not keep your secret.

8. ArnoldoOfferman

ArnoldoOfferman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2016

I know it's too late, but I was in the same boat. The no-crow collar has been a life saver... Literally!

9. marktoo

Thanks! I had read somewhere that you had to a bit but didn't know why. Bird's in the frig!

I've had my Wyandottes for for 3 years for the most part they're pretty quiet, an egg song now & then. Once in a while one will get her knickers in a bunch but not very often. Hopefully the new girl will be the same way!

10. marktoo

Thanks! I'll look into that. I think next time out I'll try pullets & just quarantine them. Chicks are fun but I'm tired of having a brooder in the house & running a heat lamp. I don't do it often enough to warrant getting an ecoglow. Hopefully the issue will never arise again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by