Intro and bator/eggs pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by metcalfmk, Apr 26, 2008.

1. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Hi all! I am pretty new here, have been lurking for a while. Just wanted to show y'all some pics of my bator and eggs that are currently incubating. Today is day 10 for these eggs, and they are coming along pretty good! They are from our game hens, we have six hens and one old roo, but he still gets the job done!

Here's a pic of my bator, it's an old Brower galvanized model, had to put some tape on a couple of the vent holes to keep the humidity up. I know the outside doesn't look too clean, but I have wiped it down inside and out and disinfected it before I put my eggs in.

[​IMG]

These are my eggs that are developing. There is only one that is infertile, I will be taking it out in a few days. I marked the ones that i could see some movement in with an "M" and the others with "?"

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, my attempt at a candling photo. Sorry it's not too good, but you can see the chick!

[​IMG]

There should be about 8 or so that I know for sure are good, so I will try to keep all of you updated!

Happy hatching!!!

Katie

2. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    i thik that was a great candling pic. i know those can be tough i tried it one time. well i think everything looks great you should ahve a wonderful hatch! i ahve to say i definately want to see pictures as soon as those babies are out!

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Those old incubators do a very good job. It looks like you have a good handle on things. Good luck

4. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Neat old incubator.

Where did you get the digital thermometer? I would really like one.

Is candle necessary?

5. metcalfmk

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Thanks for the comments!!

I got the digital thermometer/hygrometer? at Tractor Supply, it was 8 or 9 bucks. i like it because it records the daily high/low humidity and temp, so if there is a spike/drop i can tell.

So far so good!

There is a lot of good info on this forum about candling. Just search for it, and you will find out what you want to know. It is sooo cool to see those little embryos swimming around in the egg!

6. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I have two old Brower bators like that in the garage (were given to me), and never used them, but your pictures are great and have inspired me to dig them out and try to figure out if they even work (I don't have a manual). And if either one of them do, guess what I'll be doing? [​IMG]

7. metcalfmk

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    My Brower incubator was given to my dad as a bday present, probably 25 or 30 yrs ago, and i don't have a manual either. I just read up on incubating, mostly on this forum, and here we go!

Good luck

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Looks good to me! I just candled and took pics to, at least the ones that cooperated enough! I'm on day 8.

9. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    While not exactly a manual, I did find the parts description list and diagrams paperwork in PDF format for the following older Brower incubators. [​IMG]

Brower 845 50-Egg Incubator
    Brower 846 100-Egg Incubator
    Brower 845AT Automatic Turner Kit
    Brower 845MT and 846 MT Manual Egg Turners

http://www.browerequip.com/products/brower/top-hatch/incubat.pdf

10. metcalfmk

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    I came across that pdf file too, but when i tried to open it, it froze up my lovely vista operating system, lol [​IMG]

There was another post on this form by someone else who had a brower, that was pretty informative, I sent them a PM and they had some good info. Let me see if I can find the post....

[​IMG]

OK, I found it,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33241

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by