Intro and help with a blind pullet

ChickyChickyParmParm

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
Hi all, I'm new to chickens. I'm in central Jersey and have 5 pullets (2 Easter eggers, 2 buff orpingtons, and 1 Delaware). They're about 6 weeks old now.

From basically day 1, one of the Easter Eggers, Anya, was picked on. She appeared to have gotten her eyes pecked at. I took her to a vet and she was on eye drops for 10 days. She started to look better for a few days, then much worse (was concerned about Marens), then finally better. She was isolated from about 2 weeks or so, when I was concerned she had something more serious than the eye injury. (previous to that she had been separated with one orpington who was fine with her).

For the last few weeks she's been doing great, except that she's smaller than everyone else and she appears to be completely blind. She'd been living inside in her brooder, but she was clearly lonely and it made me sad. Her sisters have been out 24/7 for a couple weeks.

The last few days I had Anya out in the run with them with a mesh barrier and that went great. Today I put them together and it hasn't gone horribly, but it's not great. One in particular charges and pecks her, but only if she thinks Anya is near the food, I think. I put two feeders and two waterers in there. Anya has gotten progressively more panicky as the day goes on and yells if a bird comes close, then runs in circles because she doesn't know where to go.

I'm pretty sure the answer here is to let them work it out because pecking order is a natural thing, as long as they don't seriously injure her. So I guess I'm looking for someone to confirm that! And if anyone has had experience integrating a blind or otherwise disabled bird back into a flock, I would love to hear about it. I've gotten pretty attached to her and I don't want her to suffer. Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

If she is blind, she will definitely have trouble fitting in, finding food and water, where to roost, ect...The flock knows she's disabled, they are pretty smart like that, and may always pick on her.

I suggest either making her a house pet chicken, or keeping her with another bird that gets along with her so she can tag along to find water, food, etc... She will always be a special needs bird and should have special accommodations made for her.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

If she is blind, she will definitely have trouble fitting in, finding food and water, where to roost, ect...The flock knows she's disabled, they are pretty smart like that, and may always pick on her.

I suggest either making her a house pet chicken, or keeping her with another bird that gets along with her so she can tag along to find water, food, etc... She will always be a special needs bird and should have special accommodations made for her.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!
Thank you! I'd thought about getting one or two more chicks to hang with her, but worry that they would pick on her once they get bigger. I didn't really want to have a house chicken, but I'll do what I have to!

Thank you! I'd thought about getting one or two more chicks to hang with her, but worry that they would pick on her once they get bigger. I didn't really want to have a house chicken, but I'll do what I have to!
See how it goes, but she will definitely be on the bottom and may not get enough sustenance. See if you can figure out who is just above her in the order, they may get along with her.

Your blind pullet will definitely have to be separated for life. Chickens are not kind to a handicapped member of the flock and they will probably try to kill it. Your pullet will do fine if she is kept in a smallish area where she can find food and water easily and where she can learn where everything is. I haven't had experience with a blind chicken but I once had a blind kid goat. She did very well in familiar surroundings.

Your blind pullet will definitely have to be separated for life. Chickens are not kind to a handicapped member of the flock and they will probably try to kill it. Your pullet will do fine if she is kept in a smallish area where she can find food and water easily and where she can learn where everything is. I haven't had experience with a blind chicken but I once had a blind kid goat. She did very well in familiar surroundings.
Thank you for your input! The day ended with a tiny bit of blood, so I'm definitely leaning towards not trying so hard to integrate her. She seemed so relieved when I got her out of there.

Back
Top Bottom