Intro chicks to surrogate

sharondoright

Chirping
Apr 20, 2019
any and all tips welcome as I prepare to put 2 day old chicks under hen who has been solid broody for 2 weeks. I know ... night time, stealth mode, no light, no noise. I have heard to wipe chicks with damp sponge... and to watch mama to be sure she doesn’t kill babes. What about my human scent on babes, how to sneak them in if she is not sound asleep... I have been out a few times after dark, but she is not willing to let me candle her eggs, even well after dark, so I am concerned she won’t go sounds asleep. Thanks so much for your tips.

I wouldn’t wipe down the chicks. Just do it late at night, 12pm or later and slip the chicks under mama hen on her back side. Under her wings towards the back. They’ll figure it out. I Wouldn’t talk at all. And once you put the first one under give it a minute and see how mama reacts. If she seems to accept then add the rest and do it quickly then give her a few minutes alone with them and check back.

I just did this. It was the best thing I ever did. It was my first time too and an experienced lady gave me that tip. Worked like a charm!

My mama hen was broody for 51 days and none of her babies hatched. The first batch was a swapped nest so I isolated her after that. She’s a buff Orpington and has been absolutely amazing. Really a cool thing. Good luck!

Thanks! I am thinking to do just what you said. I have seen so many varied suggestions, but most say do it quiet, in the late dark night. I hadn't considered speed. so I will bring all 8 babes with me in a deep pocket, and start with one. I can sneak off to the side and watch for a minute. how long did you give before adding the other chicks?

Mama hen is ready... I hope! She is just SOOO grumpy - and sitting in front of her nest bucket, so I might have to "distract" her if she is awake - while I put chick over and behind her. Like a snake charmer!

Attachments

• IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 10
One of my Orph's has been broody for awhile now and was going to add some chicks hoping to make her happy. Was planning on using this method at late night. But do I need to remover her from the flock. She is in a nesting box on our top level in our coop. Will the other hens try to kill her new babies or will she protect them?

One of my Orph's has been broody for awhile now and was going to add some chicks hoping to make her happy. Was planning on using this method at late night. But do I need to remover her from the flock. She is in a nesting box on our top level in our coop. Will the other hens try to kill her new babies or will she protect them?
Mine was in nest box (upper section) as well. I blocked her area off from other hens a day or so prior to putting babies in. She protected them very well. After about 48 hours, I moved her and the babies to a protected area of the roost (we have walk-in roost) so they could be contained but have room to roam, and no risk of falling out of nest area. Worked great. You can kind of see how she was partitioned in the nest box in the pictures above in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom