Intro - Excited new chicken mom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shalynnbrothers, Feb 3, 2016.

1. shalynnbrothers

shalynnbrothers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Hello![​IMG]

My name is Shalynn. My husband and I are newlyweds and new home owners in Ramona, CA. We recently decided to add new chicken parents to the list!

We have:
    1 Barred Rock (2 weeks old)
    1 Black Sex Link (2 weeks old)
    1 Light Brahma (1 week old)
    1 Rhode Island Red (6 days)
    1 Easter Egger (6 days)

I'm very eager to learn as much as I can about our babies!

I love them all bunches, already want more![​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Shalynn. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a great mix of breeds. All of them are good layers and the Black Sex Links are egg laying machines that will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  3. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Thank you, Michael.

I do have one question! I'd like to maybe get one or two more chicks. What is your opinion on adding to our little flock at this point? Not sure how the others will take to the "new guys" since they have all already been together for a little while now.

Also, what is the max age difference between chicks that is okay to keep them in the same brooder? (Since my oldest two are already 2 weeks)

Thanks!!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I would definitely not advise putting newly hatched chicks in with chicks that are 2 weeks old. If you get more chicks I would advise keeping them in a separate brooder until they feather out, then you can integrate them in with the other chicks using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens/ explaining how to do it.

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. It looks like you have a lovely flock. :)

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC Shalynn - glad to have you join us. Congrats on your new flock and its good to know that chicken maths has gotten your firmly in its grips [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pecking order starts early with chicks, and the two week difference is quite a lot next to newly hatched birds. Welcome to BYC.

9. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You have a nice mix of breeds, what are you thinking of adding?

10. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    I'd really love to get a silkie or two, another EE, and a Wyndotte. Not sure how silkies would do with the breads I already have though. Silkies also seem to be hard to find around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by