intro from NH

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Anniekins, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Anniekins

Anniekins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    Hello. I am planning to raise quail this year. Pretty excited actually. I live in SW NH and cant seem to find any. Even the feed stores dont have quail. Years ago I had chickens and so I figured it would be easy to just pick up some chicks. I know that I want to start with jumbo coturnix and it seems like I will have to start with eggs although I would rather start with chicks .I am not comfortable with shipping chicks either. I am hoping to find someone that has jumbo coturix near me that I could buy and just pick them up. I live in NH with hubby, 2 dogs and 2 cats. I am disabled but I think I can handle quail since I can even keep them in my barn in winter. My barn is connected to my house. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, I hope so. This is a great forum and I have learned so much reading here.
    Anne

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Welcome to BYC quail. I am in Alaska and love my Jumbo Coturnix. If you are on FB join me at Coturnix Corner. I have just began selling birds and eggs and I use the page to educate my customers and myself too.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to the BYC and the quail forums!

I am also at the opposite end of the country as is Laseterlass, but wanted to welcome you aboard! You can always try your local craigslist, or even contact your local county poultry extension/4-H club. Many times those folks know others that have what you are looking for or know who to contact.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Anne,
    The 1st sun of the month,the Northeastern Avricultural Society(NAS)has a meeting in Westford,Ma.There are all kinds of birds and animals there.Their website is www.neasociety.com.If you were looking for bobwhites,no problem,but no coturnix.I too am in N.H.I'm in Seabrook.I don't have any coturnix,but I do have a pair of snowflake bobwhites,and hope to have a few chicks this spring.I also raise ornamental pheasants,cockatiels and diamond doves.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Anniekins

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    Thanks for the welcome and info. I am on the Keene side of NH. Thats a mighty long drive for me. I have family in Boston. Maybe I can get someone else to drive me. The search continues :) Tractor Supply says I will be able to order quail but they can't tell me what kind until next week. Thay say the chicks would be shipped . Isnt it still to cold for shipping chicks?

6. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Quail chicks do not ship well :(

7. Anniekins

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    That is my concern. Do the eggs ship better?

8. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My experience has been mixed. But I would say yes. Just order twice what you want and order from James Marie in LA. Other places drop ship and I got infertile eggs twice. OR order adult birds.

9. Anniekins

Jan 28, 2013
    SW NH
    I am planning to order from James Marie but I was hoping to start with chicks just because I am nervous about the shipping and incubating. Thought it would be less nerve racking to start with my own eggs and then order from there. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order some eggs.

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Eggs are not a whole lot different than chicks. After 17 days, the eggs turn into chicks, LOL and you don't have to worry about them dying during shipping.

Hatch rates can vary, depending on how brutal the PO is with your eggs, but if you get a 50% hatch rate, you are doing well. James Marie does a superb job with packing, so you may do even better with the hatch. :)

When it comes time to do the incubating, post all your questions here and the good folks on these forums will get you thru it. :)

There is nothing better than seeing a hatch. Warms the heart to see an egg turn into a tiny quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by