"Intro to Freezer Camp" Open to any one in Washington State

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by justbugged, May 13, 2010.

1. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    OK one more notice that "Intro to Freezer Camp" is being held in Enumclaw this coming Saturday. It's free and drop in for however long you can stay. It will be from about 10 am until all the birds that are ready are done. Feel free to PM me for the address. We will be holding a second camp on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in the following week or two. This is open to anyone in Washington State. The city of Enumclaw is located in South King County, about 50 miles SE of Seattle. It is also due east of Tacoma WA.

P.S. This is a day to either help process, or just watch and see meat birds being processed. Their are going to 3 adults willing to teach or answer questions about butchering chickens. This being held at a private home, in the backyard. The housing in the neighborhood is very close together so it will appreciated if the noise level can be kept down.

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Do you folks have the processing equipment or are you renting it from a co-op? I need to process 4 of my own this weekend. Have another 25 to do in June. I'm west of Olympia.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ok i just have to say great idea... [​IMG] I amy have to do something like that at my house .. Im no expert but have gotten pretty efficient at it...

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    On the day I do my batch of 25 I will have the use of a rented set up from the local conservation district. It includes a kill cone set-up, scalder, and plucker. The date for our freezer camp is June 19th. I would open up an invite to any folks in Thurston, Mason or Grays Harbor counties who would like to learn from a qualified rookie. We are in McCleary.

If you have birds that are ready, bring 'em.

5. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Great for you! That is SO cool! I would love to have something like this in my area, I will have to look around. I didn't even know you could rent chicken processing equipt!

6. sfessler

sfessler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    I'm just down the road in Buckley and would love to stop by. I have 24 CX that are 5 weeks old today, my first batch.

I'll PM you for the address. Thanks!

7. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We don't pluck any of the chickens during "off to camp time". We have been taking their jammies off and putting naked chickens into the freezer. I had been thinking about a few with their jammies still on but I am going to chicken out this time. I am still thinking about how to process the chicken feet. Feet are great for making chicken stock.

8. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:If I still have a few I will check with DH about joining you in June.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by