Introduce 3 new hens to 6yr old Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spoiledbirds, Jun 19, 2010.

1. spoiledbirds

spoiledbirds New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    After having a single rooster for about 5 years, I got him some hens! I knew nothing about chickens until finding this forum, it's great! He is a very friendly, docile rooster who loves people. My hens are about 3 months old. What is a good way to introduce them? He is much bigger, a RIR I think. The others are, a buff orp, a barred rock, and a cochin. Here is a pic. The hens are in a new coop but we haven't added the rooster yet. I put the hens in a dog crate to show them to the rooster for a few minutes. Should I just put the Rooster in the new coop with the hens or wait until they are bigger. I don't think they'll get as big as he is. [​IMG][/img]
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    [​IMG] I wouldnt put them together until your girls are full size.. A roo can harm very young pullets and should be kept seperate until they are all full grown.. i do however think you are doing great by allowing them to get to know eachother thru the cage, that way everyone stays safe... I would say give the girlss another month and two and they should be able to handle him.... Good luck and congrats on your new additions....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by