Introduce a new chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kat399, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kat399

kat399 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    Northern Canada
    Ok, I have a situation. Over 4 yrs ago a friend gave me two hens to keep as pets. Well, this morning I find one of them has passed away. My other hen is now by herself and quite distressed. Should I get her another hen for company, or should I keep her by herself?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Chickens are social animals. They really need other chickens around. I'd suggest getting two point-of-lay pullets to introduce to her. As much as they need other chickens, the introductions can go kind of rough. I'll give you a link to Buff's page that talks about quarantine and integration. It should help.

Buff HooliganÂ’s Adding to your flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Good Luck!!!

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    WOW you only had 2??? You are strong willed! I got two, lost one, and got two more for my girl. That was last June,

now....

We have 6 leghorns, 4 orpintons, 1 silky, 3 RIR, 2 barred rocks, 2 turkeys, 1 leghorn roo, 1 polish roo, 4 EE, and 10 ducks! [​IMG]

My DH would love you, cuz you seem to have a rare thing called will power, lol Something I am really lacking!

Yes, a companion would be nice, but I would do two. This way when your older hens time comes you will already have a companion for your other girl and won't have to deal with the new introductions.

4. kat399

kat399 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    Northern Canada
    I found a suitable friend for her. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: