introduce a new hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grtnana, Aug 9, 2014.

1. grtnana

grtnana Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    i currently have three chickens a
    RIR WYANDOTTE and a AUSTRALOUP i discovered the the Austraploup is a rooster so I will be getting rid of him however I decided to purchase a new hen a golden comet. The are all 20-22 weeks old and the new hen just laid her first egg today. I tried to introduce her to the other chicken and the rooster was extremely vicious so I removed the new girl. I thought it would help if I keep the rooster but he was terrible. So now I have the commet isolated and I will get rid of the rooster. Any suggestions on how to make the a smooth transition.

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    all right you need to get a dog carrier and put your new hen in it then put it with the other chickens that way they can get used to her. leave here with them for a few days (you need to get to now her so stay out there with her) then let them all free range together and then just put them all back into the coop at night and break up any big fights that happen and she should be fine.

[​IMG] it can be very frustrating but fights will happen and need to happen to keep the pecking order

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  3. grtnana

grtnana Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    the new hen just laid her first egg will this stop her from laying? also she is a very calm lady will this change her disposition? would it help if I remove the roo since I am getting rid of him in two days and then try to introduce the new hen by place her on the roost in the coop after dark?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

A lot of people will suggest quarantining your new hen first. This is entirely up to you and whether or not you feel you need to do so. No matter when you introduce her - if you put her in a "look but don't touch" situation, add her at night, or just put her in the run - there will be squabbles until the pecking order is established. It may be less intense if you introduce her slowly and then put her in the run at night, but it will still happen when the time comes to put them together. Establishing the pecking order happens every time you add chickens to or subtract them from the flock. Unless she's being pinned down and pecked to the point of blood being drawn, I would not remove her. Every time you do, it starts all over when you put her back in. It may stop her from laying for a week or two. Any change in their routine can do that. Chickens don't do change well.

5. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    leave him in or take him out it does not matter but keeping them together but separated is very important

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by