Introduce new Cockerel & Pullet to flock at beginning of winter?

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
In my ongoing quest to develop a Chantecler sub flock I have the opportunity to get a spring hatched pair in early December. They are from a well established breeder In Quebec that I have previous experience with (sourced fertilized eggs only); he hatched over 100 birds this past Spring.

In discussion with him in August he recommended maturity as a key factor is choosing a better quality bird, suggesting end of November.

I have a small flock with one Chantecler male of approximately 1 year (a yellowish tinge in feathers calls into question his purity); 10 mixed hens including a Chantecler hen from the same breeder; 7 barred rock pullets, 3 of three months and four of two months (now fully integrated).

My plan is to cull my current rooster.

My climate is severe with lots of snow, winter temperatures average -15C with short periods at -30Cs. I have a coop and year round run sized to host up to 40 birds (coop=160 & run=~400 sq ft), run has a permanent roof, I cover the open south facing HC with clear vinyl; pop door is always open birds come and go as they wish. I keep feed and water in the coop but have the opportunity (electricity) to add both in the run if needed. My coop is a 10' by 16' Woods KD style. I do not free range.

I have three years+ experience with chickens so am familiar with their vagaries.

Any advice or thoughts on possible challenges with introducing new birds early in our winter period greatly appreciated.

Will you remove your current rooster before the integration?

How old will that pair be in December? Spring in Shawville could be months different from spring in Louisiana. My interest is how mature he will be. That can have a big effect on how integration goes with mature hens. Even knowing the exact age won't help that much, they mature at different rates anyway. I'd be less concerned if he were at least seven months old.

Those are my only concerns and not related to weather unless you get snow in there enough to limit how much run you have available. Your space seems adequate unless winter shrinks it.

I have three years+ experience with chickens so am familiar with their vagaries.
That line deserves an :lau

Will you remove your current rooster before the integration?

... I'd be less concerned if he were at least seven months old.

... Your space seems adequate unless winter shrinks it.

Current rooster will be culled before integration.

New cockerel will be at least six months old and I will isolate for ~30 days before integration.

Run & coop are a constant size year round.

Before I integrate the 5 new Chanteclers I will isolate for 30 days (also need to treat for mites & live).

I have a previous hen from Rejean questioning whether I should integrate her with the new group sooner? Seems more disruption for her than useful?

Last edited:
Introducing a single hen is a bit of a trick, one can do it, but it is tricky. 5 against 1 in a smaller inclosure will be a hard integration and for what? If you are going to put them all together anyway?

However, she could be the canary, to make sure neither side has a underlying disease.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom