1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introduced my new hens this morning!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EmAbTo48, Sep 23, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    All the hens seem to be fine, but my single Roo is going nuts! He is stopping around them, running around them displaying some weird dance like moves [​IMG] is this normal? I assume he's trying to show them he's the boss, but the hens are just ignoring him, will this stop eventuallly?

Thought he would be over it by now (its been 5 hours) but when I just checked them again he's still doing it!

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes it is normal and he is just flirting with them in roo language... [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes on the weird dance like moves - always worked for me. Ah yes, I remember the dance of love. Sourland takes the long trip back to his dating days. [​IMG] Please don't tell the Princess. [​IMG]

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Glad your new hens are fitting in [​IMG] .My roosters dance for my hens all the time , I even have a SLW roo who dances for me [​IMG] . It is just a roo being a roo. He is trying to woo them. They also call hens over when they find food, and help them find nest sights.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Good to hear its not a bad thing! He hasn't left the new hens all morning follows them everywhere HA! Feel bad for my other ladies they always followed him everywhere!

Spoiled rooster! He's got 12 hens to look after [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by