Introduced New Rooster - Hen Stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JoshFig, Oct 3, 2016.

1. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    We have always had roosters with our hens (a dozen). We processed our previous (mean) rooster about 2 months ago. Hens did fine - didn't slow down laying. Then we got a new rooster - about 18 weeks old (old enough to mate w/ the girls). Since then our Easter Egger stopped laying - completely. She had been laying 6 eggs a week (she is young - from this past march) - both when we had the previous rooster and after we got rid of him. The other girls seem to still be laying fine. Additional context: This hen is the bottom of the pecking order - she is often separate from the rest of the flock. This was the case before the new rooster as well when she was laying 6/7 eggs a week.

Question is this: How long will a hen stop laying from a major change in environment (new rooster). I've heard this can happen - but 2 weeks for a young hen seems really extreme. Anyone have experience with this or ideas? Any suggestions to get her laying again? We miss the blue eggs.

2. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    I don't have any suggestions other than to give her more time. Being at the bottom of the pecking order might have something to do with it as well since you introduced a new rooster.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed. It may well be that your cockerel is focusing on her for his mating and thus causing her inordinate stress. Once he grows up a little, and earns the respect of the whole flock (and thus is able to mate with them all) he will less likely hassle your low ranking bird. I was some reading research yesterday, that stated that omega (low ranking) pullets / hens are mated more often than the high ranking hens.

Cockerels at that age can be real punks and a bit of a pain in rear to the girls.

4. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    The rooster is getting success with most of the hens, but she is definitely not happy with him. Hopefully the eggs come back soon. Interesting stat that the lowest girls get the most attention from the rooster - definitely less work for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by